They don't get that big by being stupid

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rik

They don't get that big by being stupid

Post by Rik »

Went out of Vamo this morning into a stiff NW wind. Decided I'd do the marathon paddle of going across to Siesta and head north in the lee. Got up to Point Crisp, jumped over the the east side and drifted with the wind for a couple hours.

I was catching 16-18 inch trout with jacks thrown in the mix every so often so I had a loose drag. Hate ripping their mouths apart with a tight drag.

Paddled up into a small cove that was glassy calm and made a couple casts. Then WHAM! This was not the size I'd been catching. This was a drag burner. Thinking it was a larger Jack I was very surprised when the head of a huge snook came out of the water violently shaking to shed the MirroDine. I may be exaggerating a bit but I think my head would have fit in its mouth.

Now, a 25 incher would have run to open water. This big girl was much smarter - it went straight to the docks towing me along with her. And, of course, she used the pilings like a slalom course.

The couple that lives there were having coffee on their deck so they came out to watch as I was under their dock trying to unwrap my line by passing my 8' rod around the pilings. The gentlemen offered to help but then realized it meant him getting in the water. I politely declined anyway.

"Oh my, that's a big fish" says the gentleman on the dock as I'm getting to the last wrapped piling. Then he leans down and whispers while pointing "He's right there." I had to chuckle at the whispering. I'm pretty sure the snook was very aware of our presence.

As soon as I get my line free, it was hung up on a splinter under water, and get the snook back on the rod, off she went again. Screaming drag, line disappearing off the spool and right over to the next dock. By now my 20 pd leader was shot and she broke off after again doing the slalom course taking my MirroDine with her. I saw it in her jaw when she first rattled her head so she'll shed it soon.

She left me with 40 feet of badly frayed PowerPro, a broken guide and a bruised ego. Yep, they don't get that big by being stupid.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Re: They don't get that big by being stupid

Post by sfurman »

Nice, it happens, that PP at least gives you a chance against the pilings.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
CoonHound53

Post by CoonHound53 »

Good story! Happens all the time.
Listen to the Peppers! Riches will follow.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Back in the days of mono she'd have broken off on the first piling.

The perspective change after some years is interesting. 30 years ago I would have been spitting fire mad. Probably would have woken a few people up with my yelled expletives. That episode would have ruined my morning and I would have angrily told the story to several people.

Yesterday, I just drifted out into open water and, with a wry smile on my face, said "damn, that old girl beat me good". Then I tied on another MirroDine and started casting again.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Oh come on. Everyone know there are no fish in Littlte Sarasota Bay.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

Great report. It is funny how perspective changes with passing years.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
gks0409

Post by gks0409 »

Nice report
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

I really need to check voicemail more than once a month.
0 0 1
Rik

Post by Rik »

shamus wrote:I really need to check voicemail more than once a month.
And your texts.....
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Texts :shock: No thank you.
0 0 1
Hillbilly
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by Hillbilly »

Sometimes it is really great to take a beating, and have the Fish win. It's not always about numbers, but more the experience! You won't soon forget that one, but will remember "Her" with a smile .... That ain't all Bad, is it?
Tempted and Tried by a Fine pair of Legs
Likewise Enticed by Over Easy Eggs
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Boy I hear you guys about the phone and text not working. I have found that mine doesn't seem to be working too good this time of year either. Seems to be much more reliable during tarpon season.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I get my fix of alone time fishing this time of year. That being said, I really haven't caught shit so far.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.