Two Days On Sarasota Bay

Flamingo to Big Bend
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Two Days On Sarasota Bay

Post by Manning »

I fished the last two day. Yes being retired is very, very good. Monday I launch off Long Boat Key at Durante park. There was zero wind so I decided to head out for long bar. Caught one trout on the way over. When I got there I fished the north side of the bar going almost to the west shore and the south side of the bar heading back. Nada, zilch, bumpkis. I had launch a little later than usual so it was close to noon when I got back to the west side. There was some mullet activity on the flat south of the launch and I managed to catch another trout and then a nice little 18 inch red. All on my trusty Mirrodine Mini. Saw a couple more reds, but never really had a shot on them.

Today I launched from Buttonwood. Given that there was going to be very little tide movement this morning I was not expecting much, but it was going to be such a pretty day. My expectations were just about right. In about 5 miles of paddling I managed to catch 6 trout. All were in the 15 to 20 inch range. All were caught in different areas of the bay. I never really "found" the fish.

So in summary I had two beautiful days on the bay and the fishing was slooooow!
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Rollo

Re: Two Days On Sarasota Bay

Post by Rollo »

Yes, fishing was very slow for me as well. But you have it right, it was a beautiful past couple of days. Trout were random and reds were minimal on the east side of the bay, at least for me anyway. At least the dolphins beat me to the flats I was headed to. Sounds like a really nice paddle for you. Glad you got some nice trout for dinner!
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Two Days On Sarasota Bay

Post by Manning »

Rollo wrote: Glad you got some nice trout for dinner!
All the trout went home to fight another day. I am pretty much exclusively a catch and release angler. For me it is the beauty of being out there and seeing if I can solve that great big puzzle of catching fish. It is all good however your approach it. Spending time with nature always teaches you something about yourself.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve