Something a bit different..."surf's up"

Flamingo to Big Bend
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Something a bit different..."surf's up"

Post by jbdba01 »

I had this happen a couple weeks ago and came across the photos. Kinda different...here's the obligatory morning sunrise shot. It was a bit breezy that day, but nice.

Over the horizon you could see a cargo ship heading out...she's full of cargo that's for sure.

15-20 minutes go by and I hear what I believe is a boat going way to close to me. I somewhat disregard it, but after a bit I look over my shoulder and see the following.

It's a bit unsettling to hear the roar of a wave coming at you but this had happened to me before. All that white on the water is the wave breaking. You certainly don't want to be near that. Whenever I have this happen I recall the XMas tsunami from 2004. Obviously this is no where near that scale nor does it really do any noticeable damage. Yet it reminds one of the scale we really are in the big picture.

I've been out wading when that occurs and you certainly feel the pull of the water going out. That was more unsettling than being in a kayak. There's no where to run.

The wave is not that high, but on a negative tide the water displacement is enough to create a wall of water running the length of the flat. In some cases it can be a mile of more.

I've had this happen to me at Pine Key where yea ol' stinkpot suddenly went high and dry after a cruise ship went by. It's pretty interesting to see the water rush out and then come back in - in some cases it happens twice. The second being a smaller wave after it bounces back and forth from land.

Where I was that day I did not have to worry about being capsized, being swept away, flipping....the water simply pulls the kayak out at an accelerated rate and you just go "with the flow". The first time things are a bit unsettling, but once you realize that all's well it's back to fishing.

Just something to look/listen for the next time you see a full cargo ship go by.
JB
BTrain

Re: Something a bit different..."surf's up"

Post by BTrain »

Ahhh, thanks for the explanation!...upon reflection, I can remember what I thought at the time was a rouge wave - and....'what the heck was that!' - perhaps there was a cargo ship passed by i didn't pay any attention to - anyhoo - I will keep an eye out in the future - knowledge = more safe :wink:
Best thing about being older: I did most of my stupid stuff before the internet!
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Saw and heard this once at Cockroach. The sand bar ate the wave when it got there.

I also had an encounter with a strange wave while Taron fishing. I was sitting maybe a 1/4 off the beach when I noticed this line moving my way pretty far out towards the horizon. The water was pretty flat where I was sitting. As the wave got closer it just looked like a big ridge coming at me. It was silent as it was not breaking. When it got to me it was a good 5 feet high or more. I just rode up over it. There was really nothing in front or behind it. Just one big wave. It went on in and really crashed on shore. Have no idea what caused that to happen.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Manning beat me to it.....That's has happened to me at CRB many times on low tide especially......thing is the sandbar usually breaks it up, so it depends on what side of the bar you are on......cool pics John
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!