12/3 West Side of Sarasota Bay

Flamingo to Big Bend
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

12/3 West Side of Sarasota Bay

Post by Manning »

I would like to report that I am very pleased that the Windfinder predictions for the past few days have been wrong. I am also pleased to tell you that you can sleep in, because based on my recent experience nothing is happening out there until the sun is up in the sky. I launched a little before sun up this morning and the wind was out of the east blowing as predicted. Given that I was on the west side of the bay this tends to make it a little bumpy out there. So for the first 2 hours or so I bobbed around and caught almost nothing. Then about 9 am or so the wind just shut off and the sun was warming up the incoming tide very nicely. Over the next two hours I caught about 15 trout. None too small and none too big. They all were in the 15 to 20 inch range. Fun on light tackle and all on my trusty Mirrodine. The extra surprise this morning was this nice little pompano that hit my Mirrodine.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Pip

Re: 12/3 West Side of Sarasota Bay

Post by Pip »

Thanks for the report. Ugh, The Windfinder reports have been keeping me from off the water lately...seeing gusts of over 15mph plus is just not promising. I also use the NOAA graphical forecast site (see link below). When the 2 services match up in their wind gust predictions , that's usually enough for me to stay off the inshore stuff and head to my favorite inland rivers . But it's nice to know that the Windfinder site may make a mistake once and a while.

This is a great site too. I also use it to plan my cycling trips.

http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/tbw.php#tabs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches