Heywood is back

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rik

Heywood is back

Post by Rik »

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Heywood is back

Post by krash »

A Jack is a good way to get the fever going again
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

:thumbright: :thumbright:
JB
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Good to see that handsome devil back in the saddle. Now stay outa my fishin hole!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

It's been a long time for Heywood. I stayed close to give him advice while he fought that monster.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Good to see you back on the water again. Just ignore DaveR. We all fish there just to piss him off.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Ump608

Post by Ump608 »

Great to see ya back on the water Haywood, give 'um hell..............
Rik

Post by Rik »

It was an odd and somewhat frustrating day. My spook was hit at least 15 times and nothing stuck. 3 times it was hit and sent 2 feet in the air by snook.

Did have one amazing follow that I wish I'd had a GoPro on my kayak. The bow of my boat was up against the mud and I made a cast down the shoreline. It landed on the mud and I figured I'd just blown a cast. Oh well, work it back over about 3 inches of water. As it was coming, an upper slot red came up and wanted it bad. It was dragging its belly leaving a mud trail and its back was out of the water. It's tail was splashing the surface. It kept bumping the lure but couldn't gets its mouth up on top of the lure. I'm a bit surprised it didn't get snagged by the rear hook. As it got close to the kayak I tried to swing the lure away from the bank but only manged to spook the red when I finally had to stop reeling. As it spooked, it took half a dozen others with it.

One thing is certain, that spook gets new hooks before the next trip.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Most Excellent to see Bill out there again! Been a long trail, but back!!! :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Funny about those Spooks getting blown out of the water, I've had that happen many more times than hookups. And with new hooks too! Of course dragging it across the beach doesn't help! :lol:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

It was great to finally get back on the water after a six month hiatus. I had my doubts about catching anything, due to the iffy weather, but it turned out to be action packed. Just 100 yds. from the launch I saw my first red, but as it turns out with many of these shallow cruising reds, it spooked and bolted. Rik and I both had shots at fish with their backs out of the water, but couldn't connect. Same thing with the top water action, short strikes time after time.

All in all, it was great just to get out. I felt pretty good afterwards and believe I'm on the road to returning to my old self.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~