Vamo Sunday

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rik

Vamo Sunday

Post by Rik »

Shamus and I headed out at 7 this morning hoping to find fish in the low tide potholes around the oyster bars. As we slowly paddled into the declining darkness, we got a huge wake up call. I see the tell tale "flat spot" right in front of my kayak so I quick back paddle to keep from running over a manatee. Great idea except I poked another one while doing. Half a second later my kayak is 3 feet up, water and mud splashing all over. The herd stampeding away created a 2 foot wave that gave Shamus a good roll.

Shaken but not stirred, we moved on very much awake. We fished our way to the oyster bars and then gave the bars a million or so of our best casts with no reward. Shamus moved out in the bay while I moved in to the mangroves and docks.

I couldn't find anything but well fed mullet in close but Shamus was getting his fill of trout and snook. He came and got me, good fishing buddy that he is, and we both went back out where he was catching plenty.

After 45 minutes out there, we had plenty of fish in the bag and headed back. Beautiful morning. Hope everyone was able to get out.

Today's take home a.k.a. Dinner

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Re: Vamo Sunday

Post by shamus »

Really got to get that hat strap for my Go Pro.
0 0 1
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Glad you guys hit it Sunday. I launched at Vamo on Friday and had one of my worst days there. Caught a few small trout and that was it.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Steve next time smack a Manatee for good luck.
0 0 1
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I have had close encounters of the OH SHIT kind up at buttonwood this summer. I think I am good.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve