Been awhile....

Flamingo to Big Bend
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Been awhile....

Post by Norm »

Haven't had anything worth posting in I don't know when :roll: I met a guy who lives here in my community who likes to fish and has a kayak, but not much experience in fishing from one. I had been watching the tides of late and knew we were in a full moon phase. Decided I wanted to try the afternoon outgoing since I knew there would be current flow.
We headed to Cockroach and started working one of the passes. The water was pretty murky and a lot of floating debris and grass with all the rain we had been having. Figured it was prime for a gold spoon. I am very partial to my Capt Mikes Gold spoon and it always produced for me. We got there around 2pm so it was nice and warm....sheesh :!: :!: It's fricking July...what was I thinking :?: Gotta hydrate :!:
About an hour into our trip....I'm working a deep cut and just slow rolling my spoon just off the bottom when I felt a soft thump and slight pull. I responded in kind by tugging back and could feel the weight on my line so I started to reel...am I just hung into some grass or what...I felt a shake ....ok...THAT'S not grass...I pull and reel again and all of a sudden the other end of the line lit up big time. Fish on...and it was ripping line off my reel like crazy. Been too long since I felt that kind of excitement. I didn't panic...because it had the current working in it's favor too. I wanted to pull my anchor, but I was afraid to take a hand off the reel for even a moment....but I worked it slowly into about 20 yards and it just took off again. When I was able to turn it after this last run, I knew...short of it breaking my leader...that she was mine.
She was 34in natural lay and fat and healthy. She swam away no worse for the wear. Thanks to my new friend for taking the picture for me. His name is Gary Kraft and I swear he looks enough like Steve Manning to pass as his brother. Don't know his politics yet and don't want to know :lol:

:!:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Deek
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Re: Been awhile....

Post by Deek »

real nice!
I did the incoming at Cockroach Wed. and caught a couple small trout. Water is really dirty out there.
Jackson, Big Rig
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Well done Norm!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Nice snook.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Nice Norm........
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

Way to go Norm, and at dead heat of the afternoon to boot!
Lime Cider

Post by Lime Cider »

Sweet linesider! Image
Russ