Spring Bite

Flamingo to Big Bend
Edward

Spring Bite

Post by Edward »

Went to my go to, never fail, redfish spot on Sunday and other than one good blow up on a surface plug, I caught one jack the same size of the lure. No ladies, nothing. I'm thinking the water temp needs to jump another 5 degrees or so. Are any of you having the same experience or am I just in a funk?
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Spring Bite

Post by Manning »

It is fishing. I went Sunday and caught 2 reds, 10 trout, a bunch of ladies and some jacks. Still don't think the reds have shown up in big numbers.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

From my perspective things were looking really good until yesterday's front rolled into TPA.
JB
kmeng

Post by kmeng »

Freshly Salted and I went out to our usual UTB spots Sunday and the Reds were stacked up almost everywhere. Even caught a few nice Snook too.
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive
sessions

Post by sessions »

Edward wrote:Went to my go to, never fail, redfish spot on Sunday and other than one good blow up on a surface plug, I caught one jack the same size of the lure. No ladies, nothing. I'm thinking the water temp needs to jump another 5 degrees or so. Are any of you having the same experience or am I just in a funk?
I don't think you are in a funk. In the last ten weeks I've hit six of my " go to " spots multiple times, many well known to members. A couple of good reds here and there but never with the consistency or numbers I've experienced in the past. I keep logs of every trip over the past 10 years that I refer to to remember what my old brain can't. We should be on fish but we aren't...or at least I aren't. I fish Pine Island to the South all the way up to Southern Tampa Bay. Same picture. As a point of reference, I usually can pick up 100 reds from October through March. This year, maybe 20. Never multiples from one area. Sigh...perhaps I, too, am in a funk but I really think something is different.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

One of my regrets in life. Not keeping a log.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Edward

Post by Edward »

The funk continued on Sunday, though I did go somewhere I've only been once before, only one trout and an over abundance of ladies who would hit every cast. Of course one cut off a nice new mirrordine to brighten my morning. I did mange to see a big red hawg swim by, it looked like she was smiling at me. Maybe next week.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Most people strike out way more than they would like to or will ever admit to. Just keep at it, it is part of it. I never fret over a skunk day, being out on the water usually beats anything else anyway.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve