FIRST SOLO TRIP

Flamingo to Big Bend
Knightro10

FIRST SOLO TRIP

Post by Knightro10 »

So I got off work a little early and decided to try and take my new kayak out solo for the first time. I arrived at the placida launch and used the wheel on the rear of my Native Slayer to get me to the water with ease. After getting everything setup I realized I made a rookie mistake and my paddle was at home in the garage! I loaded everything back in the truck, drove home, got my paddle, and returned to the launch. With limited time I decided to fish the mangroves right near the launch. I decided to use a MirrOlure 7M red n white and after a few casts, I got a nice snook to smack it right on the surface. Made it all worth it!
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Re: FIRST SOLO TRIP

Post by sfurman »

Heck I have even done that, keep your paddle with your boat or do like I do and keep a spare paddle in the tool box of my truck, since I did that I have never left it again.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Ump608

Post by Ump608 »

That thar is funny. The only thing that I could think of that would be even compare would be showing up to a PFTS, pay your entry, go to you launch site, stand around shoot the bull, THEN REALIZE THAT YOUR PADDLE IS BCAK IN SARASOTA!!! Oh wait................................................that was me! My wife said it up best when I told her what I has done "dumass".
Rik

Post by Rik »

That is a 'rookie' mistake that many 10 year in 'rookies' make....
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Rik wrote:That is a 'rookie' mistake that many 10 year in 'rookies' make....
Now where is that picture? Rik was all proud of himself one day at Weedon Island on how quickly he could launch his kayak ahead of everyone else. Then this transpired-

Rik-"Uhh Todd, can you help me out?"
Todd- "Sure"
Rik"-I forgot my paddle"
Todd- "Hold on let me take a pic first"

Rik, I believe there is a special forgotten paddle avatar for Knightro10.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

He's a new guy Todd. I had to get a note from his Mommy to let him in the forum and she told me to be nice to him.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Now now boys, play nice......
Rik

Post by Rik »

Todd wrote:Now where is that picture?
I did it on purpose so we could create a public service announcement on alternatives when you get separated from your paddle.

bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

Here's another rookie mistake that taught me a lesson the hard way... I trusted my Aquabound manta ray carbon to a taco clip while pulling my yak across through the mud, in the dark, only to realize it had fallen out of the clip. No paddle leash. I spent the next two hours trudging through the mud looking for my paddle and never found it. Once I got back to the creek I used my measuring board to paddle the half mile in, same as Rik. Works pretty well in a pinch!
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Many moons ago we got up at 3AM to make the drive up to the Withlacoochee River to do some bass fishing out of a canoe.
We pulled up to river edge and began to load our gear in the dark. After getting ready to push off, I looked around and asked my buddy, "where is the paddle?"
His response was, "uhh sheet."
After 10 minutes of profane finger pointing, we decided to walk the river bank in search of substitute. We found a 2 by 4 and a strip of plywood and headed out. The blisters on my hands didn't hurt nearly as bad after I smoothed the edges of the board with a pocket knife and put my socks on my hands. We caught a few fish for our efforts, and it was always a trip to think back on and laugh about.
Congratulations on the new kayak Knightro, hope to see ya out there.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Arik81

Post by Arik81 »

Not to call anyone out on mistakes but I thought I heard a similar story at the last PFTS....UMP608 do you remember someone telling that story?
It's such a crappy feeling when you finally realize your mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

If your referring to my story, I'm sure similar things have happened to similar people.
And yeah your right, it was a crappy feeling.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Yeah but feeling like you did something stupid really is good for your soul. It levels you. Makes you like all the other guys. Let's you know that you aren't better than the human race.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Damn glad I have never done anything like that.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Ump608

Post by Ump608 »

Yup, bad feelin'. Chin goes right down to the chest, eyes close, then the brain says" hey dumbass!"

But I finished third!

The PFTS before, checked in, jumped in the truck........no joy. Had to be towed.

My wife says that Rik should just let me not start fishing until 9:00, as that seems to be the time that I finally get all the gremilns out of the way......at least lately.
sleighride

Post by sleighride »

Since my yak is solo or tandem, I have identical sets of 2 piece paddles. I go to assemble my paddle at the launch, and you guessed it...both halves had the female end. So it was like paddling with a mini canoe oar, so I stayed close to the mangroves that day. Better than a measuring stick though.