Ft. Desoto

Flamingo to Big Bend
SnookBait

Ft. Desoto

Post by SnookBait »

Thinking about making the trip down to Ft. Desoto this weekend but I havent really heard of any reports from around there. Any of you guys had any luck in that area recently? Im inquiring because these cold fronts have really thrown things off for me. I usually fish there more in the Spring time but id like to give it a shot if theres possibly fish back there. Just looking for Big Trout and some Redfish. Wouldnt want to drive down there if nobody has been doing any good.
Pip

Ft. Desoto

Post by Pip »

Good question, I'm surprised nobody has answered. I'd just go.

Good Luck!
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches
Edward

Re: Ft. Desoto

Post by Edward »

I know a guy that knows that area well and about 2 weeks ago, he took out 48 shrimp and came back in with 46. There wasn't even any bait stealers. This time of the year, I think it's hit or miss. I would think the bomb holes but I've never really figured them out. I did have a winter trout day, one time, where I found them right on the edge of a bomb hole.
Rik

Post by Rik »

There are always fish at Ft Desoto. But, like everywhere else, you have to know where they are. The bomb hole is always productive if it hasn't been hammered. Be the first one there in the morning and you're in good shape. Get there at 10 after 20 people have pounded it and you'll be out of luck.

Knowing where fish are in any one location is a matter of fishing that spot on a regular basis and learning the geography.

Take Chokoloskee. For those that live and fish there it is a fisherman's dream. For those that make one trip a year down there it can be nothing but frustration.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Hope my response isn't too late.

Lately, Ft Desoto has been very hit or miss,even when you are 'on the fish'. That being said if you find them, be patient, they will eat eventually.

If you're using lures remember to keep your presentation S L O W. If you think you're working your bait slowly, try slowing it down even a little more.

Hopefully the warm up this weekend gets them going, good luck!
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
Edward

Post by Edward »

Rik, you mention bomb hole as in singular. Not all of them are productive?
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Rik is, more than likely, speaking of the maintenance hole. Different from the bomb holes. They all can be productive , just depends on the tides and time of year.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
cag215

Post by cag215 »

I fished Desoto from 1pm to sunset today. Water is clear and not much in the way of bait on the flats. Not much mullet either.
Once the tide started going out the trout turned on, caught 5 all in the span of about 30 mins. All dinks 12 in to 14 in
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut".
Ernest Hemingway
Twain

Post by Twain »

Rik wrote: For those that live and fish there it is a fisherman's dream. For those that make one trip a year down there it can be nothing but frustration.
The latter would be me as I get to fish there 4-5 times a year during camping trips. Have had decent trout days and one shark, but have struck out with anything else of value. Guess I need more practice.
Walt_Trident13

Post by Walt_Trident13 »

I'm thinking about giving it a shot on Sunday. Any new reports on the area? Also may try under the bridge for some sheepshead.
http://www.youtube.com/brentwaltersmith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
n816kc

Post by n816kc »

Made it out the Desoto on Sunday. Action was slow on the incoming tide, caught a couple of 10-12" flounder. Once the tide started out the trout bite really picked up. Lots of 13-16" trout on the grass flats. 17" was the largest we landed. All on artificials, live shrimp brought out the catfish, ladyfish and baitstealers.

Post by 13 »

Now is the time to make your way down to Ft Desoto. It's one of my favorite places to fish, but you can't pay me to fish there during the winter. Rik couldn't be more right about the holes, but even when I have found the fish there in the cold months, they are mostly small catches.

Anyways, was just out there this past week & found several snook to start the day off. Also very happy to see reds are flooding the area again. They have had a bit of lockjaw for a while now, but the bite is heating up with the weather.