Report For Our Wounded Leader

Flamingo to Big Bend
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Report For Our Wounded Leader

Post by Manning »

Sorry to hear you are laid up Rik. I hope the chunk they removed came from the right shoulder since I have noticed you have been leaning to the right lately.

The is actually a combined report for two days, Saturday the 9th and Monday the 11th. On Saturday the wind was going to be strong out of the East and there was a falling negative tide in progress. I decided to launch on the East side of Sarasota Bay from a launch I had never used before. It was an easy launch and the water was definitely going dropping fast. Launching in a new location is always a mixed bag of emotions. I like the idea of investigating a new area while at the same time hating not knowing what I am doing. I spent most of the morning prospecting and managed to catch a few small trout and a jack. Late in the morning with the water on the flat so low it was unfishable I came to the North edge of the flat where it dropped off into deeper water. On my first cast along the edge I got a big hit. As I got it close to the boat I could see it was a big trout. My personal best trout to date is a none too impressive 23 inches and this one looked like it was going to increase that mark, but it was not to be. The trout took one last jump and came unbuttoned. After yelling the required expletives I made another cast to the same are. Again a big hit. The one stronger than the last. After a fun fight which included some wonderful screaming drag runs this nice 28 inch snook came to the boat.

Here is what my jighead looked like after landing that snook.

After releasing the first snook I managed to catch three more snook in the 20 inch range and a couple trout all from the same area. By now there was wet sand and grass showing up through the water everywhere and I called it a day. The trip back to the launch was a combination of paddling and hiking dragging the kayak.

I was out of town on Sunday and Monday so Tuesday was my next chance to fish. I headed back to the same launch I had used on Saturday, but this time the tide was coming in and going to crest out in the middle of the morning. There was plenty of water everywhere, but not much movement. Seemed to be able to catch trout everywhere, but nothing else. After being on the water for a couple hours nature was calling. I was near a nice little island that actually had a little sand beach. I pulled up on the island and was standing their taking care of business when I heard something behind me. I turned and there to my surprise where 4 peacocks looking at me. I went back to the kayak and got my iPhone and took these pictures.

Probably caught a total of 20 trout and one more jack, but no snook and no reds. The magic spot from a couple days ago was not magic any more with this much water.

That is one of the great things about this sport, on any given fishing trip you never really know what is going to happen.
Last edited by Manning on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Rik

Re: Report For Our Wounded Leader

Post by Rik »

Thanks Steve. Was it that launch you asked about?

Lab called, they got it all. Staples come out tomorrow. Fishing this weekend.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Rik wrote:Thanks Steve. Was it that launch you asked about?
Yes. Really easy launch. Quite a few people wade fishing there.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Now that's a good report! :cheers:
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

Great news! :-B :cheers: :cherry: :clown: :compress: :cyclopsani: :joker: :rr:

(Sorry, "never used smilies" opportunity.)

BTW: Nice shoes, Manning. :wink:
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009