fishing report from "Ding Darling"

Flamingo to Big Bend
reload556

fishing report from "Ding Darling"

Post by reload556 »

so i get down to the island after the monsoon wensday night . me the fishing gear and 2 yaks ( wife was already there ) we hit the water at about 10 am thursday morning , we went to the commador creek kayak trail ( this was the wifes 2nd time in a yak) it was a incoming tide so going in was not a problem . now coming out against the current wqas tricky for the wife not the best choice on my part . i did catch 2 small snook and a small snapper . so we get out of the trail and start heading across tarpon bay to shallow cut where i caught 7 trout ,3 keepers and about 6 jacks . on fri we were back in the same area of shallow cut and got to witness a dolphin working over a mullet school . well the dolphin starts moving off and another one starts working it over by driving the school up into the mangroves , only problem was it wasn't a dolphin ( which i didn't know til i was about 30 feet from the action ) it was 3- 6 to 8 foot bull sharks which when they left by swimming directly under my yak at a high rate of speed :shock: so we had 2 other couples join us on the water on saturday we caught 5 keeper trout 1 red fish a ton of jacks and catfish we had a big cook out with the fish we caught . so i would like to thank all the folks that gave me tips on lures and locations it made for a very enjoyable trip :cheers:
Urban Legend II

Re: fishing report from "Ding Darling"

Post by Urban Legend II »

Excellent!
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
cag215

Post by cag215 »

Sounds fun, with a fish fry as a bonus......
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut".
Ernest Hemingway
sleighride

Post by sleighride »

Sounds good, except for the bull shark thing. Where did you launch from Ding Darling? Tarpon Bay? I will be going down next week, staying on the beach but it sounds like the better fishing is on the bay side.
reload556

Post by reload556 »

we launched at tarpon bay .we fished the beach sunday am before we all had to leave and we caught a couple of spanish macks and a few trrash fish . but by far the best fishing was bayside
sleighride

Post by sleighride »

just found out that ding and tarpon bay are closed due to the government shut-down. I am going to have to find another place to launch and probably have a long paddle to get there.
Rik

Post by Rik »

More "inflict max pain" from the administration that continues to collect its paycheck.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley