Best Lures for October

Flamingo to Big Bend
fishshooter99

Best Lures for October

Post by fishshooter99 »

I appreciate all of the IMs and responses I received concerning guides in the Bradenton area. I will be talking to some of the guides next week and try to plan at least one guided trip.

I plan to be there the 2nd week of October with kayaks and tackle in tow. I would love some suggestions on lures/bait for that time of year. I usually only fish the area in the Spring or Summer and am not sure what to use.
Thanks again for all of the help.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Best Lures for October

Post by DaveR »

A top water. A gold spoon. A jerk bait.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cag215

Post by cag215 »

I threw my arm out in july/aug tossing hardware like spoon, jerk baits and topwater.....I caught a trout or two and not much else. Maybe I just can't wiggle the worm just right or something. Once I matched the hatch, it was fish on! Right now a 2 inch pin fish, 3 inch green back and a 4 inch mullet are like redfish candy...... at least in my area. I also had to switch to night fishing to get away from the cowboys and boat traffic.
I'll sit on any kind of point of a island and flat when the tidal flow is strong on the incoming and out going at high tide. If the tide is weak I fish the bait just like a lure along the islands or mangroves, moving along here and there.......
My standard rig has been a 3/0 circle hook on 18" 30 lb florcarb leader with a tiny float to keep the bait out of the grass. Hook the bait by the tail, it puts the hook in the best position for a hookup in the mouth and limits the gut hooks.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut".
Ernest Hemingway
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

I appreciate the info guys.
Over the years I have had good luck with certain top waters, quite a few jerk baits, and numerous shades of DOA and Gulp shrimp. The one "goto" that has never produced for me is the good old gold spoon. I have never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed but I really thought that I'd eventually master what many describe as the simplest lure in the box. A few lady fish, the occasional jack and a couple of mackerel have fallen for it over the years but not a single red. I've tried fast retrieves, slow retrieves and all kind of twitching but for some reason that piece of hammered metal just doesn't seem to be my friend.

If someone can offer any advice on proper spoonage feel free to pass it on.

Thanks Gary
Gary
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

fishshooter99 wrote: If someone can offer any advice on proper spoonage feel free to pass it on.
Thanks Gary
Right arm over the hip - hand between the thighs.
JB
cag215

Post by cag215 »

jbdba01 wrote:
fishshooter99 wrote: If someone can offer any advice on proper spoonage feel free to pass it on.
Thanks Gary
That's sick and twisted right there!

Tie on with a rapala knot for chunking the spoon. Gold spoon like a Johnson sprite, use it dawn to daylight and dusk to dark. Just enough retrieve to make it wiggle, slow and steady. Best used on open sandy type flats, sight fishing tailing reds and skipping under the mangrove trees.

http://www.fintalk.com/fishing-knots/rapala-knot.html
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut".
Ernest Hemingway
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

jbdba01 wrote:
Thanks Gary
Tried that. Pulled a hamstring.
Gary
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

I used to knot believe in spoonage but then I finally slooowed it down. Low and slow, until your almost snagging grass and slowly reeling at like a sloth pace. Red's hate them. The hit on a spoon is pretty cool and don't forget to drive it home.
I had my Dad out last month and he flat out doesn't believe in artificials and was bummed when I didn't let him buy shrimp. Well I had him use a johnson minnow and he landed some nice trout and lost a red, made a believer. Top water plugs, spoons & weedless jigs.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

DaveR wrote:A top water. A gold spoon. A jerk bait.
To elaborate on lures click here...you probably don't even have to make it past the picture.
JB
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

Thanks for the input. That is pretty much my standard set of tools for Spring through Summer(with the exception of the afformentioned spoon issues). I've never tried JB's lure trailing a paddle tail but it looks like something fun to play with. I can imagine a double hook up would be insane.
Gary
Gibby3474

Post by Gibby3474 »

I agree with all fte above lure choices. I also heartily recommend the MirrOlure MirrOdine.
Steve
www.kayakfishingsarasota.com
http://gibbysfishingblog.blogspot.com/
NuCanoe Pursuit
NuCanoe Pro Staff
Aqua-Bound Pro Staff
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

DaveR wrote:A top water. A gold spoon. A jerk bait.

And the jig don't ever forget the jig
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Rik

Post by Rik »

Well, if you ask ChrisR he'd emphatically and enthusiastically tell you a Gambler Flipp'n tube should be on the list. Which, by the way, is one of the lures in the PFTS #2 on October 26th,
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Rik wrote:Well, if you ask ChrisR he'd emphatically and enthusiastically tell you a Gambler Flipp'n tube should be on the list. Which, by the way, is one of the lures in the PFTS #2 on October 26th,
True story. The Exude Gold D.A.R.T. has treated me well recently too.