Looking for local info on fishing in the Ruskin area

Flamingo to Big Bend
UltimateBobWPB

Looking for local info on fishing in the Ruskin area

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

I've got to head over for a funeral on Tuesday (5/21/13) from West Palm Beach to Ruskin, thinking of staying over the night and getting out for a day of fishing before returning. Could sure use some guidance on where to launch, etc. Also any suggestion for a good inexpensive motel to stay the night? Good bait shop to stop by? Thanks in advance, bob
Rik

Re: Looking for local info on fishing in the Ruskin area

Post by Rik »

My suggestion would be EG Simmons Park. There are several places to launch in the park but go out to the circle at the end of Wilderness Trail. Simmons is the safest of the launches along the South Shore.

From the Destinations section: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 47&t=17909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

There are a variety of locations to fish on the Southside - if you look in the destinations in the forum section the big 3 are Cockroach Bay (CRB), Simmons Park, and Bishop's Harbor. There are other places, but on a weekday those places will not have the traffic they get on Sat/Sun.

Cockroach and Bishop's are secluded, but I have not yet had issues leaving my truck there. [knock on wood] Some people have...Simmons has a park entrance fee; skip the boat ramp and there's no launch fee.

We're just about to hit a summer weather pattern (if we haven't already) so things might get toasty around noon and have the bite slowing down. Lots of bait out there now...bring some bug spray for launch time.

You've probably seen some of my posts, but I like Aquadream spoons (gold, green, white), riptide paddle tails (root beer, white); mirro-dines (black and silver for snook, green silver for just about anything else). Some folks swear by Bone Spook Jr's, I seem to have a high suck-age factor on those. When I did get hits they were quality fish.

As far as places to stay there's has to be some Courtyard like places around exit 240 near Suncity , but Little Harbor is a cool place. Although I've never stayed there I go there once a month. The Sunset Grill at Little Harbor has a Tiki Bar and it's a cool place to hang, but there will be quite a few tourist. Not a big deal to me, but a heads up. 2 for 1 happy hours around sunset. The chicken quesadilla's are awesome. The Fishouse up the street has good eats, but it's mostly fried. If you want to get a feel for the local area head over to Beanies - but it ain't like Palm Beach. Think of a local dive off Ockechobee Blvd and you'll have sense for it. All these locations are on Google Maps. Just so your expectations are set - Ruskin is old school FL - which I really like.

Working for the man on Tues, otherwise we could have done a paddle-hook-up. PM me if you have other quest...
JB
UltimateBobWPB

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

Rik & JB Thanks for the great info! I think I'll drop the kayak in Wednesday at Simmons Park, I spoke to them this morning and the assured me they open at 7 am. I feel a little more secure parking there. May even stay over a extra night and fish a bit Thursday before heading home. I'll have to hit the local bait shop and pick up a couple of your suggested lures, JB. Thanks again guy I'll keep you posted. Bob