Cross Bayou

Flamingo to Big Bend
SnookBait

Cross Bayou

Post by SnookBait »

I see this everytime I go into Pinellas. Anyone know of a launch around there? Is there one in the Launch section? I dont think I found one in there.
Hillbilly
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Re: Cross Bayou

Post by Hillbilly »

There are ways to get into Cross Bayou, not all of them are good/easy tho.

1. Park St, South of 62nd Ave, across from a Shopping center. Actual Launch is a side of the Road but is very public, I have never heard of problems. Decent side of the road parking. Paddle South until you reach the Old Power Line and head west. All the poles are cut off but you notice the line. Some good areas before even getting into Cross Bayou.

2. Bay Pines Blvd, across from the old Green Iguana. Launch is a little steep, side of the road, again very public. Decent Parking, some people will park and fish off the Bridge. Launch and head North toward the Pinellas Trail Bridge. You can turn west (left) and work your way past the KOA into Cross Bayou. Or you can keep going North and turn when you get to the Old Power Line.

3. KOA has a Boat Ramp and a Canoe Launch but not sure what their policy is. They got New Management a couple years ago so you might ask at the office but be prepared for a "No Answer". If you can find a way to be a "Guest", it's all good!!! The Canoe Launch location puts you into good water almost as soon as you get into the water. If you want to camp once or twice, make a friends with a worker and you are IN! Most of the workers are "Work Camping" and are pretty friendly people.

4. Veterans Park Kayak Canoe Launch. This one is the best but the farthest from Cross Bayou. When I can't be a "Guest" at the KOA I just add some time to how long the trip should be. Paddle North to the Bay Pines, Pinellas Trail Bridges, and keep going.

5. Park Blvd across from the open area of Seminole Lake. Very few people launch from here but some do. I never have so can't really give a description of what it is like.

There are many, many other places but you gotta know someone, and besides there are "NO Fish in Cross Bayou", just ask me! If you do decide to go there don't fly fish for Ladyfish, Trout, Reds or Snook .... again there are "NO Fish in Cross Bayou", don't even try a Olive over White Clouser Minnow or Crab anything ..... and forget all the Gulp especially the Root Beer with Gold Flakes 4" Shrimp, I'm just saying.

Good Luck anyway!
Tempted and Tried by a Fine pair of Legs
Likewise Enticed by Over Easy Eggs