Tarpon topics

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rik

Tarpon topics

Post by Rik »

As I find (or if you find) past topics on "how to's" I'll add them to this list

How to revive - http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... pon+revive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, you can whip them in 15 minutes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HXSc4wnqxY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DON'T DO THIS:

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Heywood

Re: Tarpon topics

Post by Heywood »

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... on#p335406" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Rik

Post by Rik »

I'll add a tidbit (and hope some of the other 'experienced' guys will also).

One thing that takes some getting used to is how quickly your boat will move when a tarpon hits your line. We've all felt how an 8 pound redfish can move your kayak. Now imagine how a fish 10 - 15 times larger will move your boat.

If you're lucky the fish will hit straight off your bow and it's immediate move will be straight away from you. That rarely happens. Probably the main reason most guys use 8 foot rods is to get the rod tip to the bow of the boat to turn the boat to the fish. In the first few minutes you really want the bow pointed at the fish because it will be dragging you. Besides, the sleigh ride is one of the fun parts of the deal.

In the beginning of the battle, fighting it off the side leads to the fish taking a lot of line and/or the fish ending up behind you. You're better off going with the fish and letting the boat be the drag. Later in the fight when it isn't going to be taking blistering runs - or if it seems the fish really wants to go visit Mexico - you can put out a drift chute and slug it out.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

In case anybody is wondering. Tarpon season this year has thus far sucked. Maybe 3 fish jumped. Gotta get better soon. It always does.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Urban Legend II

Post by Urban Legend II »

Yep, we were wondering.

:bounce:

I have heard they are further south in a few numbers. Planning to hangout in Fort Myers for about 10 days next month so hopefully this year is the year. :lol:
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
geoffsnook

Post by geoffsnook »

Slow day for Phinla and I. Saw one fish.

Post by 13 »

Dave, hearing that makes me feel a lot less bad for barely making it out there this summer. Got out a couple times with ideal mornings, but didn't see a single poon. Almost time to start hitting some bay spots though.