Mackerel... Getcha some!

Flamingo to Big Bend
countryboy_ucf

Mackerel... Getcha some!

Post by countryboy_ucf »

Disclaimer! I may not have used a kayak for these fish but they are easy enough to get to with the yak on a less windy day.

Took the pup out on the St. Pete flats to celebrate spring and the Saxon mother goddess Eastre. I wanted to get some mackerel for the smoker and I was not disappointed.

Unfortunately, SoCo really loves to bark at fish, so everyone knows when I catch something. She did stop briefly after trying to bite one and getting trebles in the face (not too deep luckily), but she soon forgot that lesson, and she alerted a pontoon boat that decided to drift within casting distance of me trying to catch the same school I was.

Luckily I was already late for dinner plans with family, and I had to get off the water anyway. The bite really picked up around 1, which is about when I had to leave, and when I subsequently lost all my gotchas plugs to these toothy bastards... worth it though!

All fish were caught on gotcha plugs or xraps, 40lb flouro leader, in about 7-10 ft of water off the edge of the flat. Just work the drop off til you find a hungry school. If you start catching lady fish, keep moving until you find the mackerel. There are some nice ones out there!
Last edited by countryboy_ucf on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."
UrbanLegend

Re: Mackerel... Getcha some!

Post by UrbanLegend »

Pretty sweet looking haul!
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

That is a great fish picture of fresh mackerel.

Are you using a charcoal or electric smoker?
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

Charcoal... Making the fish spread tonight!
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

countryboy_ucf wrote:Charcoal... Making the fish spread tonight!
Do you deliver?
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

Todd wrote:
countryboy_ucf wrote:Charcoal... Making the fish spread tonight!
Do you deliver?
I'm afraid my co-workers will wipe it out before I can get any of it back home... But if I have any left and see your truck still at the office on the way home, I may drop by.
Nick F
Hobie Revolution