Wed 11/21

Flamingo to Big Bend
uncdub13

Wed 11/21

Post by uncdub13 »

Been a while since I've posted here, but I'm down from NC visiting family and looking to get a few days on the water. Ventured out today around CRB on the falling tide and managed to land about a dozen reds, three small snook, a flounder, and a small trout. Would have prefered to catch more and/or nicer snook rather than drive 700 miles for the other three species I have back home, but hey...I'll take it :lol: . :lol:

Any info on general locations and how to target the non-mini snook this time of year would be much appreciated. The only success I've had with them was in spring. Looking to head out Saturday, Sunday, and/or Monday.
ryan
fishpirate

Re: Wed 11/21

Post by fishpirate »

Great day!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

:cheers:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Very nice pictures! What camera are you using?

As far as the non-mini snook... you need to look in the deeper canals, up the rivers & creeks and areas where there is a dark bottom as it may be slightly warmer than the white sandy areas. Also another area to look is next to seawalls, the seawall will warm-up from the sun shining on it and will increase the water temp next to it. Good luck!
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

uncdub13 wrote:Any info on general locations and how to target the non-mini snook this time of year would be much appreciated. The only success I've had with them was in spring. Looking to head out Saturday, Sunday, and/or Monday.
On the Southside of Tampa over the past few weeks they seemed to be staging up on the flats and possibly getting ready to head to the warmer river waters.

With the last couple fronts it's a crap shoot on whether the numbers are in the river or not.

I'm not a good river fisherman yet so I won't be of to much help, but do know that white will work. Specifically I liked the white 3" riptide mullet (paddletail) - white CAL should work too. I've had decent luck on the riptide flats chub fire fly pattern. I jig both up and down - reds like the straight retrieve on the paddletail. Work the lure upstream to downstream on the docks/structure. Gear up with 30# - maybe even 40# leader. I still go with 20# but I lose more that way.

Bring a longer anchor line - I got schooled last year when I failed to drop and was rooked under a yacht.

Other guys seemed to be more successful with Bone Spooks tossed around the mangroves. I've had decent luck with Mirro-dines - silver and black.

The Little Manatee may be worth a shot - I think in the destination section of the forum there are putins discussed. Personally I'm waiting until late-Dec/Jan before I try my luck in the Alafia.

For a deal on riptides try using the coupon here. They are a bit softer than CALs so you may go through more but they are cheaper.
JB
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

Thanks for the tips guys. Sounds like I will need to bust out of my comfort zone (if I can even call it that based on my limited experience in the area) to find the nicer snook right now. Every decent snook I've caught here was in spring when they were shallow. I did spend portions of my day yesterday working some deeper water to no avail. Maybe I will try a little river fishing in the next few days before heading home next week. Too much to learn, too little time!

Oh yeah, those photos were taken with my old Pentax Optio W20.
ryan
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

Never got a nice snook, but I will drive home to NC satisfied with the trip.

ryan
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

I will take that over a snook anyday. Well done!
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Exactly what Todd said!
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

saahweet poonage! :cyclopsani:
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.