20121103 - El Fuego...

Flamingo to Big Bend
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

20121103 - El Fuego...

Post by jbdba01 »

Executive Details:
Water temps upper 60's to lower 70's, winds 0-2; 55 degrees to start - 85 when done; sunny; +15 trout, 3 snook, 2 reds, 2 flounder, and a personal best on a lady fish (woo hoo!!)

Details
As I normally do on Saturday's on my way to the launch, I was listening to Mike Anderson on the radio. He pretty much called it by saying "Today is going to be a great day to be out there on the [Tampa] Bay. The colder weather has pushed in the bigger trout and it will be on fire."

Or as the guys on ESPN like to say "El Fuego".

I pushed out onto the flats and pretty much bypassed the usual holes - but on the way out I did see one nice red tailing. Course everything I threw at him was not was interesting. With the cooler weather perhaps I was fishing it to fast. Regardless I pushed out onto the flats chucking a white Badonka Dong (I'll figure out this top water stuff yet.) Soon enough I was on upper teens trout, and I figured trout would be the theme. Hoping for a bigger one for dinner I release him.

Pushing towards one of islands where I was seeing a good bit of mullet action, I tossed a live pinfish aqaudream spoon and for the first time in quite some time I brought in a trout on the spoon. I took a couple action shots, but with the ISO set too low for the light conditions I didn't get the clear results I was looking for, but I liked these two action shots.

A couple trout later I decided to go find some reds.

With no winds paddling today was much easier than normal, and spotting fish was a bunch easier too. I saw that a bunch of birds were in "knee deep" water and I opted to pass on that area. There wasn't much fish action. Pushing towards where I had hooked into some snook before I figured I would try my luck. With a slow outgoing tide I wasn't sure what my odds were, and looking at 6" of water things didn't look terribly promising. I decided to stand up and as Heywood told me many moons ago, "If you can see the fish, they can see you." Sure enough I spotted a about 5 reds. All of which had seen me and pushed out to deeper water. Figuring I would give them some time to calm down, I stayed standing up and let the tide take me out. After drifting about a hundred yards (and 10 minutes - it was a slow tide) from where I spotted the fish I began to see mullet. I wasn't very confident in the water as it was more stained than the skinny stuff, but after switching the trusty rootbeer riptide mullet I managed to get this guy in.

Pushing 20" it wasn't a beast, but I was on my way to a slam.

Still seeking out some reds I managed to bag two smaller snook - call it 16-20". Seeing a bunch of activity 50-100 yards away I passed on the photo opps, but soon saw why the snook were there. Bait was to be found everywhere. They were hard to see in the tainted water, but drifting over the white patches you could see bait for quite some distance. I opted to pass on snook as I was on a quest for reds, and in my haste I spooked out at least 3 more snook. One was in the 30" category. With that lesson learned (by now I had spooked at least 8 good fish) I opted to drift again, but stand.

Over the starboard side I could make out some sailcats, but oddly they were facing away from the direction of the tide - so was the solo red I saw. With that in mind I switch my casting direction, but it really didn't make much of a difference. They weren't biting what I was throwing. I even had two upper 20's reds swim just off the bow and refuse everything I threw at them. [sigh]

I opted to start heading back and on the way I managed to see another angler having better success wade fishing. At first I thought he was on a crab trap, but I then realized that he had taken the puffer out of the water and left him fill with air. Clearly he had done this before as he just watched the puffer hang around. Seems the meal was "to go" and he took off to enjoy his meal elsewhere.

Figuring I would try that drift line again, I paddled towards shore and managed to pick up a flounder on a fire-fly riptide flats chub. As usual the flounder's camouflage was spot on (no pun intended). He looked a bit to small for dinner, but I did have the recent thread about cooking flounder on my mind. Figuring the flounder was a one-off I released him. A second flounder later I regretted that decision. Regardless both were set free to get bigger.

Working my way back to the launch I hit a trout hole that I tried last week that had brought out a big goose egg. This time around it was catch 'em until you were tried of it. After about 10 "schoolies" and not finding a gator at the bottom of the hole I decided to see if I could bag a second red to round out a second slam.

Finding another deep hole and faster moving water I switched to a gold Aquadream. Right at boatside this smaller red rounded out the slam and a pretty good morning of fishing - about 25-30 fish. None were huge, but the action was constant. Hole jumpers were nonexistent and stinkpotters were few and far between (or at least stayed a good distance away).

Satisfied with the morning's fishing I stopped at yea old pub. Watching FL play a very average game against an overrated Missouri team, I traded stories with some locals on how like Georgia, Notre Dame is overrated. However, a GA vs ND match up would make for a good bowl game. Two mediocre teams playing a coosh schedule and ranked top ten. 12 wings, onion rings, and a couple cold adult beverages later I made it home in time to watch GA play a crappy first half and then crush MS. Classic GA football - play to the level of your opponent, but make it interesting. The evening was rounded out with several more cold adult beverages and watch LSU snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Bama suddenly looks beatable. Regardless it wasn't a bad way to spend a Sat.
JB
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Re: 20121103 - El Fuego...

Post by BigFlyReel »

jbdba01 wrote:Regardless I pushed out onto the flats chucking a white Badonka Dong
Pick that one up at the adult fishing tackle shop? :shock: :shock: :shock:
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Yup...or your local honky tonky.

Just make sure you get the one that's got it going on...like donkey kong.

JB
Rik

Post by Rik »

Do you give lessons in writing fishing reports?

Yours are always quite a few steps above the standard "I went fishing today. I caught a redfish. (insert pic of redfish laying in a kayak cockpit). It was fun."
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Assuming the question wasn't rhetorical and sticking with the format...

Executive Summary
- need a summary/detail section - pretty self explanatory on the content
- take a starting photo (sunrise, sunset...); crop it skinny like the shot above - it basically sets the tone
- fish; take some shots, make a couple mental notes, unusual stuff is good; if nothing unusual happens good scenery shots are appreciated by all; pics of unusual stuff is even better
- write a couple lines on what was working (or not); show photo of what worked
- some people appreciate the details some don't; I think most people are OK with "lower/upper 20's" - that way you don't have to measure the fish; lately I've been trying to keep the fish in the water as much as possible
- I switch lures all the time so pics with lures in fish jogs memory
- write up on some chow/beer/story to wrap it up

Details
Well...I often have to write up reports to managers/execs who need summary stuff and typically read the first 1-2 lines of my reports and then jump immediately to the "conclusions". Everything in between is typically details and technical stuff that they either a) don't care about or b) don't understand (they'll pass it along to their minions for implementation).

So I kinda use that format here as well...I throw in some "I tried this on this tide" and fill in some details with photos, but I'm finding it harder to get "original" shots. There's only so many ways to hold a fish - when the water cools a bit I'll probably hop out and take some other shots (too many close encounters with the men in grey in the summer). Photoshop changes that around a bit - same shot diff effects.

I also use these same reports for reference for myself later on - all I have to do is search on my threads YYYYMM and I can see what I did the previous year. So the details help me as much as anyone - the more the better. I'm still figuring this whole kayak, saltwater, tides thing. This forum has been a HUGE help; so the report is just as beneficial for me as anyone else.

Lastly I have WAAAAYYY to much computer/screen time. Doing the photos and write ups gives me a mental break from work. It's not unusual for me to spend less than 10-15 hours outside of the house M-F (call it 1-3 hours a day). That would include about 5 hours of running/exercise. With the kids in school and the wife doing all sorts of stuff I have good one way conversations with Wonderpup - but it's a one sided conversation. Due to the electronic umbilical cord, my personal life is a pretty limited M-F. I'm a pretty social guy who enjoys a good beer, so being confined to a 10x10 room with IM, text, email and limited phone calls makes me stir crazy...by Thurs I'm bouncing off the walls. Hence the many reports and fishing breaks.

It's a good living so I can't complain, but I do get the extra time in front of a laptop most guys probably don't. My job is not the norm, but it's a double edge sword. I'm always one "booty call" away from work - and the machines, they never sleep. "Shall we play a game professor?"
JB
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

I’m with RIK, your fishing reports are the best. Your photography is not to shabby either. I always look forward to your reports!
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

I agree, always great reports & pics!
I really like this one...

I guess his face is hidden to protect his identity from future anglers.

Nice work!!!
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Well...I try, and I appreciate the comments.

There's always something to learn out there and something to pass along. That whole sailcat thing was odd...they were facing the wrong/unexpected way, but then I looked at the bait and it was doing the same thing. Don't see that very often and I was convinced changing casting angles would get me on the bigger fish. I was probably pulling it over their backs.

I think I just need to man up and take my big boy camera out there and get some better shots. The G12 is good, but a real slr would make a difference; it's just a lot of gear in the boat and one more thing to lose overboard.
JB
fishpirate

Post by fishpirate »

Nice! Great pics!