The exciting life of a tarpon fisherman

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rik

Post by Rik »

You get up early, grab a cup of coffee and hit the water with great optimism in the early dawn light

Noles looking

Manning and Shamus looking

Two thrill-a-minute hours pass and....

Noles is now waiting

Manning is still looking

Shamus, in typical New York fashion, is napping while sitting up

Even Barnacle was half asleep and wishing the girl on the paddle board would come back.

Yes, folks, you too can join the ranks of the die hard tarpon fishermen but check your blood pressure first. It may be too much excitement for you.

btw, folks, look at this next picture and notice the power boat up by the trees in the distance. You get three guesses who the paddle fisherman is on that stink pot. We can forgive him, though, every guy wants to get a little strange every once in a while.

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Re: The exciting life of a tarpon fisherman

Post by JoeS »

Rik....It could be anybody on this forum...as long as it's not....The Legend.......that would be inexcusable..... :wink: :wink:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

It would indeed! I wouldn't give up kayak fishing but if I had twenty grand I needed to get rid of..........
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Well, he came out of the clothes locker. That's a closet for you non-nautical folks.

It is kinda neat to have your eyes 8 feet above the water and not be at the mercy of moving water.

The breakdowns, gas cost, maintenance, trailering are not missed though.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Indeed. Friends with boats mo better.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Does your wife know?

I hope this won't interfere with the ice sculptures.
rev

Post by rev »

DaveR wrote:It would indeed! I wouldn't give up kayak fishing but if I had twenty grand I needed to get rid of..........
That boat was a smidgen more than 20k...
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Twenty, forty, I got a girl to marry off. Might as well be a hundred.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Do we know how to have fun or what?
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Chrystal_Murray

Post by Chrystal_Murray »

A stinkpot DOES NOT HELP!!! We drove the little stinkpot, well John drove the stinkpot, 57 miles round trip yesterday; Matlacha-across the harbor-out Gasparilla Pass-up the beach to Stump Pass-back down to Gasparilla Island. All for one pod of fish two miles north of BGP. We set up a drift with the trolling motor so as not to worry the fish. They were happy, high headed tarpon until a boat running inside of us spooked them out. Then a boat running outside of us spooked them in. Another boat ran by and they picked up their skirts, and hauled snizazz.

We poked our nose into the cluster that is a BGP tarpon tournament, then disgusted with that mess zipped off to Bokeelia Bar for 'nirvana'. That's work vernacular for putting on your PFD and lying on your back in the water with a cold drink.

Rik, your post is dead-on and the pictures tell a great tale. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, where in the heck is the rain? We need rain.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Haven't had a chance to look in a while but are the tarpon not up in the bay? I usually can find a cooperative fish around a certain upper bay spot many frequent. Don't have to paddle far either, Anyway, good post, Chrystal's input is priceless.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Was just cleaning up my camera memory card and came across this action packed photo of tarpon fishing at it's best. Does anyone want to provide a cation for this picture?

Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Nice hood ornament where'd you get it ?
or
NO YOU MOVE, THIS IS MY PARKING SPACE !
0 0 1
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Whadaya tink you is? Some kinda freaking gang bang kid whit your hat ass backwards?

"SANCTUARY!!!"

22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

DaveR wrote:Whadaya tink you is? Some kinda freaking gang bang kid whit your hat ass backwards?
I love it when old people try to sound young. I believe the term is "gang banger" unless of course you are referring to the sex act. Which based on the dog in the photo, you could be.
Rik

Post by Rik »

You have something to say about my dog?