Sarasota Tarpon and Redfish Slam Classic 6/4

Flamingo to Big Bend
bonitabob

Sarasota Tarpon and Redfish Slam Classic 6/4

Post by bonitabob »

Will Mallett and I fished this event and unfortunately Jim VanPelt couldn't make it. The day could not have started off any worse. I wasn't feeling well and when we arrived at the launch, a good stiff wind was coming across the bay producing big wave action. I really did not want to be there mainly because I really didn't think there would be many redfish there. I talked to Steve Gibson (shallowpockets) the day before and he shared some good tips for the area, so Will and I headed out.
We paddled into a bay just south of the launch point and we saw baitfish chased by something. The water was very skinny, but we threw a few casts on our way across the flats. We both were using DOA glow shrimp and I was feeling some action, but I figured it was probably the lure dragging across the grass. Suddenly I had a good strong hit, hooked up and reeled in what I thought was a decent trout until I had him in the net. It was a 19" red! I couldn't believe my luck catching a red in what seemed to be the last place you would find one.
Will and I kept working that flat looking for more reds. It ended up being full of fish, but we didn't find any more reds. Will caught a nice trout that he lost just as he was measuring it. We let the wind that had slowed to a nice breeze carry us across the flat while looking for more fish. Will yelled out he had a fish on and said it was a good sized snook. I paddled over to take pics when he boated the fish to find out he caught a monster 26" trout. That has to be the biggest trout I have ever seen in Florida!
After picture taking and patting on the back was done, we stayed there for a while longer and I eventually caught a 18" trout for the bonus fish score.
We left the area and headed to the pass where we thought we would see some tarpon. We stopped at our launch point to tie on some different bait. We both opted for DOA bait busters and headed off again for the pass. I was casting mine just outside of a marina, and as we rounded the corner, I saw something on the surface of the water. It was a small group of tarpon along the wall and headed right for us. I tossed the lure about 10 feet in front of them and almost immediately felt the strong pull of a tarpon. I set the hook and he jumped right away, too soon for will to get the pic. He pulled me for a short while and when he started to come up again, I pulled the hook. He was about 3 feet long.
According to the tournament rules, the hook up was good for points, although the pic of the fish jumping would have been worth more. Even still, I was satisfied and still not feeling well, chose to go back in. I was loaded up by 10am. Although it was a good day of fishing, I was a little worried about my score. This tournament series is loaded with very good accomplished kayak anglers. Capt Pat runs a tight tourney so there is no discussion of catches until the awards. Will won 3rd place in his first tournament win with, by far, the largest trout bonus. I ended up winning 1st place and some unbelievable prizes!

And as a bonus, Steve Whitlock, accomplished artist, fishing guide, and everglades legend was there. I own several pieces of Steve's art and have talked with him on numerous occasions, so it was very cool to see him there. He is a very interesting guy and can tell you some pretty cool stories about Everglades City from back in the day.
http://www.bluelinefishingteam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Sarasota Tarpon and Redfish Slam Classic 6/4

Post by DaveR »

Well done!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Outstanding - congrats!
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
CowboysFan

Post by CowboysFan »

Well done sir! My buddy and I fished that exact area tournament day as well and only landed dink trout all morning. Congrats on the win.
Rich

I'd rather be fishing right now.
bonitabob

Post by bonitabob »

Thanks! Not to get religious, but I prayed hard for that redfish!
http://www.bluelinefishingteam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

Well done. Glad I could help.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
finatic
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by finatic »

Occasionly Jeff Harrell makes it to the PFTS tourneys.
Last edited by finatic on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formally known as Snookfinatic

finaticdesigns.com
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Nice report and congrats on the win....I haven't seen a Reels Inc. measuring board in a long time...brings back some memories.
bonitabob

Post by bonitabob »

ChrisR wrote:Nice report and congrats on the win....I haven't seen a Reels Inc. measuring board in a long time...brings back some memories.
That is a real collector's item. I have had people offer money for it. Deano gave it to me so I will use it till it falls apart.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Deano was a damn decent guy!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

He was. He taught me a lot of the little bit I know about fishing SWFL. Wish we had more like him.