d) something else
10%
e) dude - yet again you are overthinking it
17%

Total votes: 30

mangohunter

Re: fighting fish in the groves...

Post by mangohunter »

Poons or not groves are a pain! I catch a lot of poons and I run into some smart one that bee line for channel markers and docks! I try and stay close in those matter but for the docks I use the one hand and paddle like a beast approach to coach them in a different direction buying me time to think of there next move! I fish a lot of mangroves for big snapper. You can go with several approaches but the best one I have used is heavy gear and anchored up!
Rik

Post by Rik »

My Dad hooked a 30 poundish tarpon in the keys one day and it ran to the dock. It was like he had some sort of radar and managed to wrap himself around almost every one of the posts. Dad opened the bail and I jumped in and swam the rod around the posts. Thankfully the fish chilled out when he didn't feel anymore tension.

We did boat the fish!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Rik wrote:My Dad hooked a 30 poundish tarpon in the keys one day and it ran to the dock. It was like he had some sort of radar and managed to wrap himself around almost every one of the posts. Dad opened the bail and I jumped in and swam the rod around the posts. Thankfully the fish chilled out when he didn't feel anymore tension.

We did boat the fish!

My most memorable snook fights have been using finesse to gently lead them out of the roots but you have to be anchored to do it.

I usually have my anchor pole in the scupper held in place by a bungie so that I can quickly jam it down when I get struck. If it is too deep for that I will deploy the anchor. You have to have that leverage.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Interesting - I thought the anchor would be the worst option, but everyone seems to be for it. So much to learn so little time.

My anchor stick is about 5ft long; so in "deep" water (> 4') it's pretty much useless.

I did learn on day 2 of my 3 day fishing marathon that I should have the sea anchor and anchor stick ready to go. In "deep" moving water both were useless. By day 3 everything was ready - including sunblock. One less thing to deal with.

I also learned that no net and no boca grip on medium to big fish with treble hooks is no fun. Beer was moved to on top of the cooler, water on the bottom. By day three those were fixed too.

I think I'll rig up my anchor on a camcleat and have that ready to go next time. Course that begs the question of bow mount or stern mount. I'll go with stern as most fish will be in front of me on the initial hit/fight. Port side as I hold the rod righty. Beer goes on the starboard side too. A man has to have priorities...

From the museum of what it is worth I did have a lady fish decide to go over the kayak. I was like WTH?? That was a first for me. It cleared the other side by 1' and veritical by 2'. Cool but suprising.

Anchors aweigh it is...

Thanks to all who responded.
JB
Rik

Post by Rik »

Skip the cam cleat. Put 12 - 15 feet of line on your anchor and don't worry about adjustments. Just toss it.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I'll give that a whirl. Certainly cheaper and easier.
JB
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Or rig up a Anchor Trolly with a Ring to clip your anchor If done correctly you can also use it as a wade line.........
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

Whatever you do, don't try horsing the fish to the boat while he's still green and hasn't had a chance to head for the mangroves yet. I hooked Snookzilla one time, and I was surrounded by mangroves on 3 sides. I thought I got lucky when she headed for the only open water, only to turn around and come straight back at me on the way to the groves. Figured my only chance was to get the fish's head up out of the water while it was near the boat. I high-sticked it, and ended up with a Quantum Cabo rod neatly snapped into 3 pieces and no fish. Would have been a lot cheaper to just let the fish head for the mangroves. :(
pbr

Post by pbr »

That's what I like about my Stinger anchoring system, can set or pull stake out pole while fighting the fish in seconds.
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

not nearly as experienced as you guys, but I would do whatever I could to stay out of the mangroves due to the things that lurk in there, like spiders and snakes. Call me what you will, but a man has to know his limits! I would throw the anchor and hope for the best!
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Just yell "IMIGRA" before the tree line - those Cuban crocodiles will clear out in a heartbeat.

Like a bad Seinfeld episode, I can say that because I'm Cuban. :thumbleft:

Some of mi hermanos at work... I'm telling ya, a couple few kayaks and some semi-auto rifles and we could take Havana back.
JB
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Keith B wrote:not nearly as experienced as you guys, but I would do whatever I could to stay out of the mangroves due to the things that lurk in there, like spiders and snakes. Call me what you will, but a man has to know his limits! I would throw the anchor and hope for the best!
A side effect is you can sometimes find some good lures hanging in the tree's while you in there.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

krash wrote:
Keith B wrote:not nearly as experienced as you guys, but I would do whatever I could to stay out of the mangroves due to the things that lurk in there, like spiders and snakes. Call me what you will, but a man has to know his limits! I would throw the anchor and hope for the best!
A side effect is you can sometimes find some good lures hanging in the tree's while you in there.
Good Point....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Tried the anchoring system yesterday and it was money. Kinda natural after I did it 1-2 times. I also shortened the length of the rope (had about 30' on it). Added a bunch of hoops in the line and using a snapspringI can set the rope at 4, 8, and 12' quickly and easily. Snapspring allows me to remove quickly and easily to trolley or other part of boat.

Took the other 18' of line and left it in the boat - just in case. Never know...
JB
Kayakpirate

Post by Kayakpirate »

I will have to go with “D”

I have been in this predicament twice that involved large Redfish headed straight back into the mangroves. Out of sheer panic I used my Stakeout pole to hold my ground. When the fish changed direction in my favor, I laid the stakeout across my lap. After playing this game at least three times I landed that Redfish and praised luck and quick thinking.

The second time a fierce wind was involved that favored the Redfish. Again using the steak out pole until the fish ran in my favor. This time the fish circled way to fast in high winds and I lost the game. Given a choice I would use this method again.
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

jbdba01 wrote:Tried the anchoring system yesterday and it was money. Kinda natural after I did it 1-2 times. I also shortened the length of the rope (had about 30' on it). Added a bunch of hoops in the line and using a snapspringI can set the rope at 4, 8, and 12' quickly and easily. Snapspring allows me to remove quickly and easily to trolley or other part of boat.

Took the other 18' of line and left it in the boat - just in case. Never know...
Now your catching on.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve