Apollo Beach Power Plant - Launch Sites

Flamingo to Big Bend
bigmackattack

Apollo Beach Power Plant - Launch Sites

Post by bigmackattack »

Guys,

I am interested in paddling the Apollo Power Plant outflows.

Can anyone give me the following information: If so, i didnt see this in the destinations feed, maybe it will be a good add?

1. Launch Points
2. Approximate Paddle to the Flow from recommended launches?
3. Parking?
4. I assume it gets crowded with the boaters, best time to go?

I am thinking of giving it a go this sunday since it looks like it may be a little cooler again.
Is the area pretty wide open or wind shielded?

thanks guys,

Jason
gatordave

Re: Apollo Beach Power Plant - Launch Sites

Post by gatordave »

A freind of mine went there Sunday. He landed 44 cow nose rays and a bunch of bonnet heads. Other than that no fish worth speaking of..
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

bigmackattack wrote:Guys,

I am interested in paddling the Apollo Power Plant outflows.

Can anyone give me the following information: If so, i didnt see this in the destinations feed, maybe it will be a good add?

1. Launch Points
2. Approximate Paddle to the Flow from recommended launches?
3. Parking?
4. I assume it gets crowded with the boaters, best time to go?

I am thinking of giving it a go this sunday since it looks like it may be a little cooler again.
Is the area pretty wide open or wind shielded?

thanks guys,

Jason
Just drive down to the end of Apollo Beach Blvd; hang a right on Surfside Blvd. go into the park and launch from there. Daytime parking is free. It's about a 100 yard walk to the "beach" (you'll see what I mean) - so bring a cart. If you're launching a powerboat (hereafter referred to as stinkpottin') , at the end of Apollo Beach Blvd there's a private marina on the right (just before the stop sign - hidden by mesh). I think it's a $10 launch fee. Nice guys.

Like any fishing, I would go on a weekday if possible.

Plenty of parking with restrooms. It opens at sunrise and closes/locks up at 6pm. Crime might be a headache after hours and you'll need a pass (aka $). You'll have to get the night pass at Simmons Park...go figure.

The site is somewhat wind protected, but it will depend on where's it's blowing from. It's kinda like a horseshoe - kinda.

Once you are on the "beach" you'll see the channel. It's about a 30 yard paddle to the flats. 50-75 yards to the outflow.

I'm assuming you are targeting Cobia/Jacks ...bycatch will be a bunch of trash (ladyfish, rays, catfish, blacktips, bonnetheads...) but they are there. You'll also be competing with many stinkpotters (possibly including myself). Then again I might be in a canoe/kayak. Unless you want to hook into a manatee fish weedless. From what I observed most people show up mid morning. Few are out there at the break of dawn.

I use black eels for Cobia.. You really need a tower to spot them. Caught a mess of Jacks...fun, but not what I was targeting. Big Pinfish seem to work for cobia...I'm tempted to use one of the billions of ladyfish for bait and see what happens.

If you fish the channel you'll be competing with a bunch of landlubbers with most packing 2-4 rods each. Think Skyway Pier. Most don't reel in when you hook up (wth??).

Here's a write up. on what to expect..take a compass just in case.

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 25&t=33849

Editorial : when do you come off the stinkpottin' list? Is it a binary function - or once you go 51% paddle fishing are you now off the stinkpottin' list or is it like being an alcoholic - once an alcoholic you're always an alcoholic. I guess you could be considered a recovering stinkpotter. "My name is John; I've been stinkpot-free for 2 years."

Post a rpt and let me know how it goes. I may go Sat...
JB
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

What he said... And lots of Bull Sharks, and thats what you will get if you put a lady fish on a big hook...

Oh and by a lot of Manatees, he means HUNDREDS and they just love to swim all around you, then scratch themselves with your fishing line. Honestly for the amount of fish you will catch there, the amount of boats you will have to compete with, and the Manatees you will have to compete with its not really worth it. But if you do go, DEFINITELY go with a friend. Being surrounded by Manatees, and large Bull Sharks in a kayak is not really all that safe!
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

countryboy_ucf wrote:What he said... And lots of Bull Sharks, and thats what you will get if you put a lady fish on a big hook...

Oh and by a lot of Manatees, he means HUNDREDS and they just love to swim all around you, then scratch themselves with your fishing line. Honestly for the amount of fish you will catch there, the amount of boats you will have to compete with, and the Manatees you will have to compete with its not really worth it. But if you do go, DEFINITELY go with a friend. Being surrounded by Manatees, and large Bull Sharks in a kayak is not really all that safe!
Safe is for Volvos and Vaginas
Please, call me Kate
bigmackattack

Post by bigmackattack »

Thanks to all who have contributed to my questions. Hoe to be out there sunday.
I don't have a ratget in mind but I will have a big stick just in case. I appreciate all the feedback.
CowboysFan

Post by CowboysFan »

Safe is for Volvos and Vaginas[/quote]

Great quote. I will be using this one in the future.
Rich

I'd rather be fishing right now.
bigmackattack

Post by bigmackattack »

i was checking the nautical charts to try to gauge the average depth in the area? They are not very detailed in that area. From what i was reading, it listed the depth at approximately 5 ft? Is that about right or could some of you with experience in the area comment on water depth near the outflow? Launching from the Nature preserve seems best..

thanks,

Jason
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

10+ feet in most spots on my ff.
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
bigmackattack

Post by bigmackattack »

Hey guys. So the Apollo beach trip was great. Final fish tally was at zero. But hey you have to pay your dues sometime though right. The winds were up but in the cove you were fairly protected thanks to the plant and the retaining wall. Only bone of contention is that the current really rips and in the kayak you cannot get anywhere near the interior buoys like you can at tarpon. However via boat it looks like you can hold position against the wall and fish over the side due to the height leverage in a boat. The basin is also quite deep. 50 feet of rope and a grappling anchor did not get it done. Best bet was to anchor off channel and cast into the paralell channel. Due to my drift I found it next to impossible to fish the basin even making good distance casts. You could see the bait and birds crashing the bait on the other side if the wall close to the buoys.

I realize its a security precaution but why not grant access to get near those buoys. Especially somce you can accomplish that via boat and fish over the wall. Didn't see anybody catch much of anything but saw lots of rays, manatees, and porpoise. Great area. Will try again with more rode to fish the basin. Suprised that there were no silver trout being caught. It was cool watching the water steam. When they are releasing water that warmth extends a suprising distance past 1 and 2 channel markers. Thinking of trout fishing next weekend ir making a springs trip north. Right now I want to try new spots instead of doing the same old same old.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Try the outer flats by the markers - spotting cobia is a pain in a canoe/kayak, but I've seen them. Just never hooked up.

According to this month's FL Sportsman you should take a bow and shoot some rays. You'll have no problems with that.
JB