Seminole Coyote

Flamingo to Big Bend
Helmig

Seminole Coyote

Post by Helmig »

I live a mile from Seminole high school, step out front door at 8pm, coyote munching on something in front yard and he hauls butt when I come out, neighbor has/had 2 hen chickens, now down to one. I've seen them at 4am when heading out fishing, been 2 years, but never this early. They sure have adapted to the suburb's.
bigguy

Re: Seminole Coyote

Post by bigguy »

Nice. I would assume your close to walsingham park? thats the only place i think they could hide.
FishFreak

Post by FishFreak »

We have one that lives by me on 8th Ave SW and Indian Rocks
David

[color=darkred][b]Proud to be a bait chucker[/b][/color]
Helmig

Post by Helmig »

I live on dead end streeet off 102nd, not far from park. Have not seen any in awhile, figured park management had thinned them out, quietly.
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

My inlaws just moved out of there house right around there
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Helmig wrote: figured park management had thinned them out, quietly.
Cousin just lost 4 turkeys to coyotes. He is definitely on the hunt about 6 miles north of Plant City off Highway 39. He staked out the turkey carcass left over from Thanksgiving dinner. ha! Haven't heard the results.

Seen a couple here in Land O Lakes. Been a few months though.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Helmig

Post by Helmig »

after warning the neighbors of my sighting, one informed me they had discovered a (minus the meat) black cat in her yard a week previously. we've had a decent supply of rabbits around and several cats neighbors let roam. I'm guessing I'll have to watch my dogs until things settle down and the food supply gets scarce and they move elsewhere.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Birds or cats? If I had to make a choice..
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

The coyote is another victim of development. Hawks also take birds like hens and chicks they even been known to take small dogs. They take cats because most domestic cats are old and fat or worse declawed and make easy prey. I say leave the coyotes alone after all they were here first.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Rik

Post by Rik »

MrSpectaculous wrote: Hawks also take birds like hens and chicks they even been known to take small dogs.
And rabbits. We had a pet lop eared rabbit that lived outside in the backyard. Really friendly rabbit that would stand at the back door every morning looking for his good buddy the golden retriever. Dog chase rabbit, rabbit chase dog. After they were worn out from 20 laps around the yard they'd sleep together in a furry pile.

One morning he didn't show up. Looked in every nook and cranny of the backyard and figured he'd finally decided to make a break for it. Then my neighbor came over and told me about the pile of fur in her yard. The hawk had caught it, opened it's belly and eaten everything. Nothing left but skin and bones.

Every time an eagle comes around and sits in the neighbors tall pine tree, I get concerned about my little 8 pound dog.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

I think your dog did it. For years he waited for his chance. Day by day plotting. Sleeping with that little flop eared vafmit. Until one day he was able to sneak out. Dispatch bugs bunny toss it into the neighbors yard, wash up and sneak back into the house. It was the best sleep he's had in years. That or a Hawk did it.
0 0 1
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I haven't researched it but you may be mistaken about the coyote. Both they and armadillos have increased their range since whitey entered the picture. I'm not sure they always ranged down here. Somebody look it up.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Aim Coyote (Canis latrans) distribution in Mexico and Central America has expanded recently reaching the Yucatan peninsula, Belize and Panama, probably promoted by deforestation of tropical areas. Historically, the southern distribution of coyotes prior to European settlement in America was described as reaching only as far south as central Mexico and that introduction of livestock favoured migration of coyotes to southern Mexico and Central America. However, coyote fossil records in Central America and Yucatan, as well as observational records of travellers during the sixteenth century suggest that the coyote's arrival to the region was earlier.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Helmig wrote:They sure have adapted to the suburb's.
Now if only the suburbanites could adapt to the coyotes. Not leaving pets out unattended would be a good start...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

THE COYOTE IS AN ILLEGAL. :-B IMMIGRATION REFUSES TO STOP THEM. Just give them amnesty... :bounce:
That settles it.. :mrgreen:
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

They have always lived around here.
Emotion Grand Slam Angler