My first kayak KING

Flamingo to Big Bend
gsellers1245

My first kayak KING

Post by gsellers1245 »

Started off today with just me and russ. Launched approximately around 6:45-7am at the same location as the Kingfish-n-munch initial planned launch. I didnt have and bigger spinning reels so i brought my penn 330gti conventional reels with 100lb power pro on penn slammer rods. (my grouper combos)

It started off slow for me as this was my first time out so i wanted to get used to the kayak in the rolling waves and get my gear situated. Tied my sabiki on and went to catching bait. First fish, porgy. In the livewell he goes. next fish, pinner. In the livewell he goes. Next few fish were a series of seabass, sand perch and a sailcat for crying out loud. Wiped the slime off of the sabiki and got my second pinner. Ok its gametime.

Bait started getting popped so i buttoned on a pinner and sent off on his way. Little time goes by and i had a small hit. Reeled in and checked the bait. Slimed again. Cleaned off the catfish slime and luckily the pinner was still alive. Sent him out on a quest again. Few minutes later, click, click, click, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz (small conventional reel with clicker on) FISH ON!! After about 5 or 6 very strong runs i see a light color approaching. Is this what we came out for? could it be a king? Little closer.....its a...its a.....shark. Ok not bad i think it was a sandshark. He was a little under 3 feet maybe smaller. Got some glamour shots in the water and had to cut the stinger as it was buried in the inside corner of his mouth. Stinger Rig 1, gone

Time to button the porgy on Rod 2, Stinger 2. Porgy is set off on a mission. Farted around for awhile. Farted around some more. No action. I started to paddle a little south and lo and behold zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. God i love that sound. Clicked over, set the hook and whatever it was HAULED ASS!!! I had my drag cranked down and he was still pullin. Saw a huge splash, didnt see the monster. Saw another splash, didnt see the monster. At this time i had about 75 yards of line out and the monster was about the swim buoy line. Gained some ground on him and then the line went slack. Is he swimming at me? nope hook pulled. DANGIT!!!

Got my stinger back luckily as i only brought 2 premade ones. All 3 hooks on the trailing treble hook were opened up. So i did what any fisherman in desperation would do. Bust out the pliers. Straightened out the hooks enough not to make them weaker than they need to be. Buttoned on pinner number 2 and sent him on a quest.

Now im 2 for 2 with my baits and Russ is now thinking man this kid already got hit twice and i havent got anything yet. Well little after my second hit me and russ both see a silver king rocket about 5 feet in the air. Russ just got hit. I would estimate it at 130-150lbs. He checked his line and no tarpon. I guess the tarpon didnt like the fish. So the bait that just saw the death hole of a tarpons mouth gets sent back lively and kicking. Shortly after russ gets hooked up again. This time he thinks its a shark. He fights for awhile and the creature shows its face. Its a fat healthy spanish mackerel. This guy is over 24" easily and gobbled up the pinner that saw death once already. Snapped a photo and off he went.

In the meantime, pinner number 2 is lonely and hasnt been touched. I was starting at the swim buoys and drifting outwards kind of zig zagging. About my third Zig i hear zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I set the hook and yell over to russ "Fish on!!" This time i had the bait at the swim buoys and i was about 40 yards out. As the fish is figuring out he is hooked, he makes a dash for mexico. I got about less than a 10 minute fight into him and he is swimming circles around me diving and pulling drag like crazy. I saw a glimpse of it as he came about 5 feet from the surface. Russ asks what is it, i tell him its a cuda or a king. Well after a couple more long and furious runs the fish is boatside. Its a nice healthy fat 30lb kingfish. HOT DAMN!!! At this time i am overwhelmed with excitement and i grabbed his tail but didnt want to let go. I held the fish for a short glamour shot session and back to shore we go as i was covered in slime. Man o man did this fish put up a fight. Russ took some more very nice shots with his nikon and they came out great. We were off the water by 10:15-10:30 ish.

I would like to thank Russ for making the HOW TO videos, as i had no clue or even tried for a kingfish before. It helped a bunch. I could have just googled the information but its right there on the HCKACLUB site. Also a big thanks for russ being my photographer not by choice though he volunteered . As you will see below his pics are fantastic. Thanks again bro!!!

Anyway here is what you have been waiting for:
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
americanrobster

Re: My first kayak KING

Post by americanrobster »

Nice work :thumbleft:
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

sweeet! ...call me when ya cook it! Great report.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

mission accomplished, WTG :thumbleft:
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
FLfishchaser

Post by FLfishchaser »

Congrats on your beautiful kingfish. It looks like the Gulf was alot flatter than the Bay was yesterday.
Lime Cider

Post by Lime Cider »

Congrats Glenn!

Russ
IntimiGator

Post by IntimiGator »

That's a smokin report Glenn...Good job!
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

:thumbright:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
gsellers1245

Post by gsellers1245 »

thanks for the video russ. Thanks everyone else
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
-Thomas Alva Edison-
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

All I can say is YAY, nice work!
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!