October Migration 10/08-09

Flamingo to Big Bend
DouGR81

October Migration 10/08-09

Post by DouGR81 »

On friday afternoon, Pat and I decided to launch off the beach to intercept the passing bait schools on their way down south. We hit the sand around 3pm, paddled and paddled and paddled until we found one big bait pod that we stayed on til sunset. Every cast yielded a jack, bluefish, or shark. We had to lock the drags down as the spinner/blacktip sharks were so aggressive that they would chase the jacks to the kayak looking for an easy meal. Around 7pm the bait pod dispersed but I made one more cast before heading in and while my gotcha plug was sinking, a king swiped at it....zzZzZzz. First run almost spooled my little redfish reel but thanks to the pedals on my Hobie I was able to catch up and gain line back. It ended up being 47" total length.

The next day we set up with the 6/0, 9/0, and 12/0 at 1pm. I think we ran 12 baits out, all of which got hit. Ended up with 3 blacktips to 67", 1 spinner at 70", and 1 bull at 73.5"..all female except the bull. We had one blacktip that got chewed up around sunset. At night we had 2 big baits out, both got it, one of which never stopped running for over a minute on a locked drag but unfortunately the hook pulled. That ones gonnna haunt me for a while. The other bait yielded the 73.5" bull shark that was tagged by Mote Marine. Still awaiting some info from them on when/where they tagged him.

Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
Heywood

Re: October Migration 10/08-09

Post by Heywood »

We had some guys out shark fishing this morning, but I dont think they had much luck.

Good stuff Doug.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Sweet Doug!

Might of been a big tiger that chomped on that blacktip... sure would've been cool to get one of those from the beach!
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Wow, nice king and some fun shark fishing too. :thumbright:
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Very cool :cool:
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
BadBackcast

Post by BadBackcast »

I'll bet everyone slept good that night....
Rik

Post by Rik »

DouGR81 wrote: We had one blacktip that got chewed up around sunset.

Whatever hit that shark was a monster. A 5 foot shark is a big piece of bait!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

seeinred wrote:Sweet Doug!

Might of been a big tiger that chomped on that blacktip... sure would've been cool to get one of those from the beach!
Ah, don't say that! Been hitting the sand hard lately for the sole reason of catching a tiger.
Rik wrote:
Whatever hit that shark was a monster. A 5 foot shark is a big piece of bait!
Pretty sure we hooked the monster later that night..my guess would be a big bull or hammer based on the run/fight
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

You gotta have a lota respect for any fish that can put a 5' black tip in it's mouth, chew it up and then spit it out. If you hook that one expect to be there a while, that is if you have the gear to tame it with. I am thinking a 12/0 reel with at least 20' of 200' mono leader (for the tail whip) and a few feet of very heavy wire. and what, a #12 or 16 circle hook. Obviously you will need at least a 5# bait to even get the fish interested. Go for it.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

:shock: "I think you're gonna need a bigger boat"
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
FLfishchaser

Post by FLfishchaser »

Did you hear anything else about the tags from Mote Marine Lab? I know they tagged a bunch of fish back in May for the Guy Harvey Shark Challenge.
http://ultimatesharkchallenge.squarespace.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

FLfishchaser wrote:Did you hear anything else about the tags from Mote Marine Lab? I know they tagged a bunch of fish back in May for the Guy Harvey Shark Challenge.
http://ultimatesharkchallenge.squarespace.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I talked with Jack Morris from Mote a few days ago..he said they have other people outside their laboratory that they distributed the orange tags to so they don't actually have the information on file for this shark..when he locates the original tagger I will post up some info. He did say there are about 3000 sharks swimming around with the orange tags and more than likely my bull was tagged in Sarasota.
Hobie Fishing Team
2014 Hobie Oasis
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

Nice day on the water!
Wuluf
fishmaster892

Post by fishmaster892 »

Saw a big tiger in clearwater back in July while working on a boat. Could have been one of three sharks Hammerhead(my guess), Tiger(very possible), Or great white (also very possible)
Emotion Grand Slam Angler