The flyrod skunk is over...

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rev. Tom

The flyrod skunk is over...

Post by Rev. Tom »

Finally landed my first fish with my flyrod (saltwater, anyway). Been wading a few times this week, and plenty of little fish were tugging on the tails of my flies, but until today I wasn't landing them. That all changed at the clam bar. I had been down there for about an hour and a half, and was about to give up and go home, when I saw some baitfish running from something. A couple casts later I brought in my first fish caught with the flyrod--a ladyfish about 15" long. Well, after that I just kept catching them. The school would swim off and about the time I would think it was time to leave, they would come back. I caught at least 15 ladyfish. the smallest was about a foot and the largest went about 2 feet. the 2 footer really took some line--almost into the backing! I think the coolest part was catching them on a fly that I tied!

In case you were wondering what damage a fly might get after a run in with a school of ladyfish, well here you go:

This is what it looked like before the school (it is the bottom fly):

Man, flyfishing is pretty cool--especially when you are catching!
"My knowledge can only be finite, while my ignorance must, necessarily, be infinite."
--Karl Popper
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Nice going, Tom!

I am way too timid using the fly rod in the states and really need to take it out on the water with no spinning gear.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

great work tom!!! how awsome is it that you caught your first fish on fly that it was on a fly you personally made... i am very jealous... i really need to take my fly rod out and work it more....
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
islander

Post by islander »

:D
www.lemonbayconservancy.org