Calusa Blueway Paddle Fishing Tournament Report

Flamingo to Big Bend
Mako

Calusa Blueway Paddle Fishing Tournament Report

Post by Mako »

The Calusa Blueway Paddle Fishing Tournament was held this Saturday in Matlacha. Sponsored in part by Angler's Outlet in Cape Coral and the Sun and Moon Inn Fishing Resort & Bed and Breakfast, this first time event turned out to be a big success so they have plans to have it annually.

A few anglers from the Tampa Bay area made the drive south to try their luck fishing those waters that we have heard so much about.

Team Heritage ( Cubs and Wadefisher ) a local team of outstanding anglers who can catch more fish than all of us together was there to let us know who rules the Pine Island fishing kingdom :D

Team Emotion Kayaks ( Adam, John - JKL, and Mark - Saltwater Cowboy...he's the guy wearing the funny looking cowboy hat :wink: ) came down in full force.

The new Wilderness Systems Kayak Fishing Team ( Toddlle, MarkM, and Jason from Canoe Country Outfitters ) were also present and ready to put some slime on their brand new, colorful kayaks. Erick was the missing link, as he decided to surprise his wife with a trip to Vegas which apparently he thought was better than fishing with his friends :roll:

Last but not least, there were these two guys who recently created a Team named Long Ashes ( Vercetti and Mako ), and who can really kick some butt when it comes to kayak fishing :shock:

The event promised to be an interesting one because of the format selected by the organizers and the good fishing reports from the area. The tournament was an "inch by inch" style in which the longest fish of "any" species earned points. Needless to say, the list of species caught included catfish, lizardfish, ladyfish, pinfish, mangrove snapper, flounder, and even a puffer fish ( which by the way, took a little chunk off my hand while trying to set him up for the picture) :evil:

But don't let this list of fish fool you in any way. There were a few slams and a good number of snook, reds, tarpon and trout caught and lost...right Toddlle?. The fishing in the area was just outstanding with plenty of flats, mangroves, little creeks and channels to search for fish. Some people decided to fish the north side of the island, others went south, some preferred to stay in the Matlacha Pass, but wherever it was the fish were there.

People from Matlacha and surrounding areas are very nice and hospitable. They love to chat and make one feel welcomed. Most of the boaters will slow down when they see a kayak and they'll wave at you before resuming normal speed. There were of course a few exceptions but I think those came down from Tampa Bay :oops:

All in all, it was a great weekend and I will definitely do it again next year. Thanks to all who put this event together
:D :D :D

Here's some pictures of the event and the results (I think I got it right; otherwise, feel free to correct any errors)

First Place Individual with 114 points and 6 species caught was Cubs

Second Place Individual with 112 points was Flats1

Third Place Individual was Vercetti with 106 points and 6 species caught. There's no picture of him because they gave me 3rd place in error. Unfortunately, Jon writes like a doctor and he got a number 7 added as a 1. All was clarified to the judges and he ended up going home with a nice set of Bending Branches paddles.

Top Lady Angler

Top Junior Angler

Top Team was Long Ashes...I told you before these guys are good :wink:

Toddlle and Jason also won prizes for largest fish (Todd, was it snook or red?) and most species caught

Dinner at the Captain's meeting at the Sun and Moon Inn
...there's the guy with the funny looking cowboy hat :)

Toddlle holding a prefishing day redfish

did anyone say barracuda? :shock: this little guy was caught twice...once on Friday while I was prefishing and then on Saturday by Vercetti during the tournament...same size, same place

the tackle box at the Sun and Moon Inn
Last edited by Mako on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Nice report and well done to all who placed. Can't wait to see pics of Cubs in that Prowler. Sweet ride!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Idle Speed

Post by Idle Speed »

Nice job and great report!
islander

Post by islander »

Man, i'd have to hook a whole mess of pinfish to compete with you guys! Nice job all.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Thanks for that great report and photos, Mako. Nice job on the fishing, guys!
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

I checked in with a whopping 13 points, one measly trout. Had one of those uncoordinated days on the water. Lures in mangroves, wind knots in the PP, line wrapping around the reels, dumping crap overboard, etc, etc. No excuse, and I still had a nice time fishing down there. (Hey, somebody had to fill in for Erick, and I was up to the challenge. :D) It was only the second time I'd been there, and I'd like to go back again.

Todd and I had a reservation at the Nolls Court motel in Matlacha, ( I think Mako did, too) and they stiffed us at the last minute. We got pointed to the Jug Creek cottages, and that worked out real well. Right in Bokeelia, and we could launch from right next to the cottage.

Congratulations to everyone who won stuff, the Tampa Bay contingent apparently made a good showing. And thanks to Todd and Jason for carrying the team in this one. Erick will be proud. :D
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

That was a lot of fun guys, I enjoyed it. Definately will be heading back down there to fish again. Its a beautiful area and great fishing location. The tournament was definately a different format, I've never fished side-by-side with someone while we both targeted catfish, pin fish or whatever else would bite aritificials...we had some good laughs about that. Dispite having to catch a catfish it was a great trip, and a well run tournament. Good to see all you guys again. Heres a couple of my prefish fish.

- Jon
prowler13angler

Post by prowler13angler »

Second place local angler, don't act like you do not know him!

Thats flats1 He is on this forum. Congrats Flats1!
Mako

Post by Mako »

prowler13angler wrote:Second place local angler, don't act like you do not know him!

Thats flats1 He is on this forum. Congrats Flats1!
Sorry for the error. I've never met him before. :oops:

In any case, he did a great job placing second and very close to the top angler :)
Peter
Mako

Post by Mako »

Todd and I had a reservation at the Nolls Court motel in Matlacha, ( I think Mako did, too) and they stiffed us at the last minute.
That is correct Mark. Brenda from the Knolls Court Motel called me Thursday night to tell me that they had made a mistake and I had no reservation for Friday. The worst thing is that I had talked to her on Wednesday to reconfirm after I learned what had happened to you and Todd, and everything was fine then. The next day she denied having that conversation with me.

Good thing Jon came thru at the last minute, and we ended up having a great time :D
Peter
flats1

Post by flats1 »

Thanks prowler13 and others. Oh yea Lady angler was my mom, and biggest trout was my dad.

Here is my report:

We prefished Friday morning, made a plan, and stuck to it tournament day. First stop was not 200 yards from the launch. I caught a 15“ catfish, an 11“ trout and a blue runner. We then moved on to try and find redfish, snook, and a bigger trout. I caught my 23 ½ inch redfish in the mangroves on the way to my snook spot.

Then, I decided I needed to try and find a bigger trout. I was trolling on the way to a grass flat and caught a lady fish. Got to the flat and had a double hook up while trolling my skitterwalk while using my popping cork. I lost my fish on the skitterwalk but managed to catch this 21 inch trout on the popping cork.

Next, I was off to try and get a snook. I lost 2 before I finally caught this little 16â€
Last edited by flats1 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Great report Mako....and Congrats to the winners(what is Cubs going to do with that Prowler? :lol: )

Looks like ya'll had a good time 'cept for the accomadations snafu..
Guess we know where not to stay down there. :wink:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

FOWL!
The rules say you have to catch fish using conventional fishing rod/reel. Vercetti is jumping in and catching 'em with his bare hands! fowl! :lol:

good job guys. i might be able to make the next one. i've been out of the loop a lil lately.
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

That tournament was a lot of fun with the different format. The format presented a unique challenge to target other fish we normally don't ever think of catching.

Pre-fished Friday with Mako and Vercetti and we all had a very nice day on the water exploring a completely new area to the three of us. We fished in an area called Jug Creek in Bokeelia and it was a gorgeous area with endless places to explore. We all caught fish and felt very good about our chances.

On Saturday we fished the same area. My day was like no other. I only caught three fish-a trout, red and a snook for a 62 1/2" slam and all of them were caught on the same lure, that has never happened before. While fishing for snapper, catfish or whatever I got freight trained by a 40+ inch snook that took my lure and about 150 yards of power pro.

I ended up winning the largest snook prize with a 26" snook. Besides first place that print was one of the prizes that I really wanted to win. It is a very nice print.

Congrats to Cubs for first place (bastard :wink: ) and to flats1 for second. There was some confusion on third so Mako and Vercetti split the ends of the paddle :lol: .

Big thanks to Anglers Outlet and the Sun and Moon Inn for their hospitality.

They have plans to do this again and I would encourage anyone who can to go down and fish. The tourney is low key and tons of fun. The area has numerous places to fish and from what I heard every participant caught fish.

Word to the wise-do not ever make a reservation at the Knolls Court Motel in Matlatcha. They screwed both Peter (Mako) and myself at the very last minute and could have cared less. It all worked out for the better in the long run but they have not heard the last from me.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Jmsnooky

Post by Jmsnooky »

Very cool tournament I love Matlacha sweet fishing and everyones real chilled I got some good shots from JD but I dont know how to get them on there.
catch some fish!
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

It was great seeing those who showed up. It was a fun tournament with a completely different format.

We prefished Pine Island and the Harbor and didn't do well in our day of prefishing and decided at the last minute to fish Matlacha. First thing in the AM we came up on jacks busting bait. We each got one to start our card. I then proceeded to troll the mangroves to get a laugh out of David and somehow managed a 23" snook on the troll. I pulled up to a nearby flat and caught 3 redfish to 25.5" and left them biting. I then got set up on a nice 4' shark cruising the flat hoping for a look at a Terroryez until a flats boat ran 20 feet from me. David came over and played with the redfish while I messed with the trout he was catching. I trolled up a 15.5"er and a 16.5" catfish (I think that is the first time I have ever measured a catfish).

I casted at some juvenile tarpon with a Terroreyez, but we all know I can't catch tarpon without some frisky live bait, so they ignored all offers.

I then trolled up a few ladyfish to get both the real slams and the trash can slam.

I ended up with a 64" Slam and a 114 point total.

I got back to the weigh in and believed for about 2 hours that Vercetti had me beat. Thanks Todd. :oops: :roll:

It was good to see everyone there, thank you to the sponsors, and I am looking forward to the next one.

Oh, and the prowler won't see water...
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
1. to remove (a plant) from one place and plant it in another.
2. to move from one place to another.
3. to bring (a family, colony, etc.) from one country, region, etc., to another for settlement; relocate.