Tim Wade cast nets.

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Skeeter

Tim Wade cast nets.

Post by Skeeter »

I know there aren't many live baiter's here, but I thought I would share a review with you folks that do throw cast nets. I had a extra heavy 10 footer for about 35 years that was made by "Frank the Net" down in the Keys. Back then owning a "Frank the Net" cast net was like owning a 57 Chevy to a Florida boy.
A couple months ago I threw it over a school of Greenies out at the Skyway, and a dolphin swam under for a free meal and destroyed it. I took it to a net maker in Tampa and had the 17 holes and tears patched hoping I could still use it but it was just to wounded to return to duty. I respectfully hung it in a quiet corner of the garage and began my search for a replacement.
I looked for several weeks for similar quality net but most dealers here or cross country now only carry the mass produced imports or the so called customs which were just not that impressive. I finally came across Tim Wade in Melbourne and after getting his input, I ordered a 10 foot, 1/4 inch net with 18 lbs of lead for deeper water. I received it today and I'm pretty happy with it. The mono is good quality and limp, you can order what ever shape lead you like and how heavy or light you want it. It seems that 1.5 lbs of lead per foot (10ft. net = 15 lbs) is the standard weight for deep water and 1.2 lbs per foot for shallow.

Update: I amended this review after throwing it in the yard a few times. It does have a foot or so neck in it when you spread it out unlike my old Frank the Net that laid flat as a pancake. I may steak it out in the sun for a few hours and hope that stretches the top of it some so it lays out better. Not a perfect 10 but still seemed to be the best I could find if you want something other than a bucket net.

"Son, tonight we're going to have mullet and grits, tomorrow night grits and mullet, and the following night we're going to have left overs."
Otis Robinson
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.