Rod Holder install question

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Lexfly

Rod Holder install question

Post by Lexfly »

I have a Jackson Coosa and wanted (hoping) to install a couple of Scotty side mounts on the inside of each gunnel at about the knees. I was thinking nuts and bolts for the install as opposed to rivets. I think they wouldn't be as strong and probably aren't long enough. However, given the place I want to put them, access inside the hull is difficult or impossible thru the hatches. Any ideas of how to do this? I suppose I could cut an access in the deck, but that seems like a bad idea and I would prefer to put as few holes in the kayak as possible. Are there any bolts that would work like a toggle bolt but wouldn't require a huge hole? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
Rik

Re: Rod Holder install question

Post by Rik »

Rod holders at about the knees on the gunnels? Won't they get in the way when paddling?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

When I replaced my side handles on my kayaks I had the same problem. My solution was to tie a small weight to a long piece of thread. I positioned the kayak so the weight would fall into the kayak. I then reached into the kayak with a long piece of wire that had a hooked end and fished till I could pull the thread. Once I had the thread I put a longer than necessary screw through a large washer and tied the screw to the end of the thread. I pulled the thread back through the hole and was able to put the handle onto the screw and then a washer and then a locknut. I used a small needle nosed vise grip to hold the screw while I tightened the lock nut. I then cut and filed the ends of the extra threads on the screw.
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died
Lexfly

Post by Lexfly »

Rik
To be honest, I am not 100% sold on the placement for that reason. I have done some measuring and it seems doable. (I have short arms and legs) but I am going to do a little more research before I drill in my boat. Most of my fishing is in rivers so I am usually flowing with the current with drag chain. Also have a small trolling motor that I usually take. I only have one fly rod holder that I will move from side to side and place in the mount as needed.

Captain Hugh,
Good idea, hadn't thought of coming up thru the inside.

Either of you have any experience with yak attack rigging bullets?
Rik

Post by Rik »

Lexfly wrote:Either of you have any experience with KAYAK attack rigging bullets?
nope
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

No for me too.
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Well nuts work for blind mounting, but Bolt, Fender Washer, and Nut are best when possible.

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Lexfly

Post by Lexfly »

Thanks to all for the ideas. I will look up those bullets and let u know if they r worthwhile. Otherwise I will be doing the bolt fender and washer
gggeorge

Post by gggeorge »

What about mounting them in a little more acessable area and using the scotty gear hear extender to get the holders in the right position?
Lexfly

Post by Lexfly »

I am really reconsidering my spots for mounting. They seem like they would be easy to reach where I am thinking and would be out of the way but I would hate to mess up my boat. Continuing to research.