Fish Grip vs, Landing Net

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Edward

Fish Grip vs, Landing Net

Post by Edward »

I've been thinking of going to a fold up landing net vs. my fish grip. Other than the size difference, the one I'm looking at is pretty functional. I always used a net with a elastic cord hanging on the back of a fishing vest in my wading days and was quite handy. Does anybody use a net?
nemo327

Re: Fish Grip vs, Landing Net

Post by nemo327 »

I used both and currently use a grip. Mainly because the grip takes up less space in the kayak.
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

I tried a folding net that is made of a material that is supposed to be less abrasive to the fish. The first spotted trout I used it on tore a large hole in it with its teeth. I went back to using my old nylon nets and Boca grip.
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I generally carry both a net and lip grip. I usually land the fish in the net. Then I may use the lip grip if I need it to control the fish while I remove the hook. If I decide I want a picture of the fish I pu the lip grip on it and place it back in the water. The lip grip is on a tether. The fish stays in the water while I get the camera out.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I use the fish grip 100% wading and 95% kayaking. The grip is locked on my belt or paddle leash on the kayak.

I only bring the net for tournaments (call it 5%) - and even then I seldom use it.

In general I try to avoid getting trout out of the water and hardly net them.
JB
Edward

Post by Edward »

I guess my notion of a net is thinking more about trout. I unhook normally at boatside without bringing them in, but now and then along comes a pig that I want to measure or of pic quality. Trying to prevent removal of their slime and concern for their soft mouths when lifting and handling is difficult. I only use the grip on any fish that is large enough to where I can't get a single hand on it.
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

I use also both. If I'm fishing for food or in a tournament, it's all net and the fish grip comes out when trebles are involved.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.