Aquadream Hooks - part 2

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Rik

Re: Aquadream Hooks - part 2

Post by Rik »

Send an email to Mike Hakala. His email address is in a post above
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ADLCapt.Mike

Post by ADLCapt.Mike »

These hooks have been a real nightmare for me. These hooks came from Eagle Claw and some of the spoons got out before we discovered the hooks were defective. These spoons were built this past spring. We changed out all of the hooks here but had no idea where the defective spoons went. There were only a few and I guess you got one. We are trying to pass the word that if anyone has a problem we will send replacement hooks or a new spoon. We are now using Mustad 34009 4/0 stainless hooks and haven't had any problems with those. Give me your address and I will replace the spoon and hook. Capt. Mike
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Got the replacement hooks from Capt. Mike - appreciate true customer service!

There is another "local" manufacturer who makes a spoon that I've had issues with. Have been in contact, and have been waiting for a LOT longer than it took Capt. Mike to resolve the issue. I won't buy anything other than Aqua Dream spoons again.

Greg
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Well, I bought a spoon that had a defective hook, but Capt. Mike took care of the problem. Very quickly as well. Many thanks Capt.
Walt_Trident13

Post by Walt_Trident13 »

Now that's good customer service. My hook broke off on Sunday and by Thursday I had this waiting for me in the mail. I'll be replacing my other hooks ASAP.

Sorry for the crappy picture.
http://www.youtube.com/brentwaltersmith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

Sent you a new spoon, as well? Wow...
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
j1231f

Post by j1231f »

ADLCapt.Mike wrote:Thank you for bring this to my attention. The problem is the hook. We
discovered that we had a box of defective hooks from Eagle Claw when I had a
fish break the hook on a spoon that I was using. I use these spoons too so I
don't want any problems either. We changed all of the hooks that where
sitting on the shelf but we were not sure how many defective hooks got out.
We are now using Mustad 34009 stainless steel hook and I am currently
looking for an even stronger hook. I'm glad this came up on the forum.
Please spread the word that if anyone experiences any problem with a spoon
let me know. I will gladly send replacement hooks to anyone that wants them.
Let me have your address and I will send you the new hooks asap. Capt. Mike, Aqua Dream Living.
Just did a google search and ran across this topic. I recently purchased (1/25/13) a gold spoon for a trip to the keys. To my disappointment the hook broke on the second cast, (my only hook up of the trip also). The only reason I'm mentioning this is to let you know there are still defective hooks on the shelves.

Regards,
Jeremy
Walt_Trident13

Aquadream spoons FAIL again

Post by Walt_Trident13 »

With the topwater spook catching to much grass this morning, I tied on my pinfish Aqua Dream spoon. Cast it out and reel it in to find the hook missing. This is the second time it's happened to me. I know what you all are gonna say..."they had a bad batch of hooks and they will replace them". But here's the kicker. The first time this happened to me I contacted them and they quickly sent me a brand new spoon and a couple new hooks to replace the broken one and the others that I hadn't used yet. Fast forward to today...I cast out an Aqua Dream spoon with the new hook and this is what comes back to my kayak. Needless to say I'm not to confident in Aqua Dream anymore. I didn't even have a fish on the spoon. If I had been reeling in a world record fish and loose it because of shotty hooks, I'd be really pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/brentwaltersmith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sfcscott

Post by sfcscott »

I hate to say it but I have to agree. All my Aqua Dream spoons have been rendered inoperable due to faulty hooks. Not sure I will give them a 3rd chance. I will stick with Johnson.
Scott
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

I know this may not be the answer for some of us that have lost a hook on the first throw, but for those that may have gotten some decent mileage out of their spoon before the hook gives up. I suffered a lost fish due to the broken hook at the eye on the Aquadream Pin fish spoon I received during a summer tourney series. While at Holy Mackerel Tackle last week I saw these hanging on the wall:
They area about a 1/4" shorter than the stock hooks, but other than that fit just fine.
I'll report later the hook up results...
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I am no engineer but at this point it seems to me no matter what hook you use physics has determined that there will always be a weak point where the hook mates to the body. Mike gas done a helluva job trying to fix it but I just can't bring myself to use them anymore.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Walt_Trident13

Post by Walt_Trident13 »

He sent me another set of hooks to replace the new ones he sent me last spring. I'll give them a try. I think it's something to do with the way these hooks attach to the spoon. There was a bit of rust when I unscrewed the screw to replace the hooks. Maybe some sort of metal to metal reaction? Beats the hell out of me. I have yet to catch anything of significance with these things. Everytime I've thrown them...after the 2nd or 3rd cast they come back hookless. Maybe they've been sabataged by some tree huggers??
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

You know - I throw these dang things all the time. I have a love/hate relationship with them.

I've yet to figure out how the one from 3 years ago is going strong and catches quality reds, yet some of these other ones have snapped the hook umteen times.

My take on it is buyer beware, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.
JB