Low Cost Seat Riser - Take Two

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

My first shot at making an el-cheapo seat riser for my Ultimate worked, but was not as solid as I would have liked. The seat could rock from side to side just a little. I found an old boogie board to use as my material for the new riser. It was just 2 inches thick which was perfect since the riser is supposed to be 6 inches thick. Here is the riser. It is 18" X 11" X 6" just like the real thing. It works great!
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Sakana

Re: Low Cost Seat Riser - Take Two

Post by Sakana »

Looks great to me! Good way to reuse something! I am thinking of something for my canoe - might can use your idea - thanks.
>((((((º> Mmmm, fish
Coffee and water mix quite well...
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Here's mine via a suggestion from Rik.
Not seen is some strips or carpet I glued to the top and bottom so as to cut down on noise. I screwed the seat to the riser because I can't see myself ever paddling without the riser.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Added benefit of the PVC tubes is they're a great storage spot for a fifth of rum
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

DaveR that looks great and should be very stable. Does it bring the seat pan right up under the side rails? My foam block I built putts the seat pan tight up against the under side of the rails.

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

No, it doesn't. I first did that PVC deal with 3" pipe. I decided to go up to 4" pipe and that is when Dave made his. Ddidn't feel any loss of stability so 5" pipe may be coming soon.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Thought I would up date this old thread with some new info. Last summer I found a used buggy board when I was at the beach in Ocean City, Md. No I did not mug some kid and steal his board. It was in the trash because the slick deck had peeled off. My old riser worked pretty good and I used it for over a year, but since the one section of the board pieces was slightly shorter than the others it felt like the seat rocked a little. So here is the new and improved version using 2 sections from the new donor buggy board and one of the originals. This thing is now rock solid. FYI I saw buggy boards in Sam's Club today very similar to the one I found for $26.

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

Manning wrote:buggy board
buggy = boogie

After looking up buggy board, I gotta ask Steve, are you getting another one?
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Rik wrote:
Manning wrote:buggy board
buggy = boogie

After looking up buggy board, I gotta ask Steve, are you getting another one?

Spelling definitely is not my strong suite and I kind of thought that looked wrong when I wrote it. One of the nice things about this forum is that you and ALWAYS count on someone letting you know when you screw up. :D

Steve