McGill Flats Blue Spinning Rod / Sabalos 3000

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

McGill Flats Blue Spinning Rod / Sabalos 3000

Post by jbdba01 »

Well...upon some good advice from a fellow PF.com'er I decided to upgrade to from an UGLY-Stik/Sahara to a McGill Flats Blue Spinning Rod / Sabalos 3000.

I wasn't really having gear issues as much as I found myself with a worn out elbow and shoulder after 6-7 hours of fishing.

Frankly I didn't want to spend a bunch of money because I have bad luck (breaks, trashed,...) with "good" gear, and frankly I'm a cheap SOB.

I can say the the upgrade was certainly worth it.

Some notes:
  • - I bought the gear from Dicks - the rod was $99 and instore the reel was on sale for $59. Had I used the online coupon I could have saved another $15, but I was wanting to have everything in hand. So call it $145-160.
    - I was (as was my neighbor) really impressed with how much lighter this gear was
    - I was equally impressed with how smooth the reel was
    - I was equally not impressed with the color of the rod, but I really don't care about colors as much as I do about functionality; I believe it's called flats blue camo; my wife and daughter thought it was very pretty; I guess I'm old school
    - I took the rig (as well as my Ugly Stik) kayak fishing on Sat; I swapped out all day and purposely tried to get wind knots on the new rig; I was unsuccessful on my efforts even when I had a bunch of slack in the line. I suspect that eventually it'll happen, but I went home without experiencing a single wind knot. That was a major plus. I was fishing 1/4 oz. gold spoons and 1/8oz jig heads with Exude plastics.
    - I managed to get some great distance on the new rig; it's 7'6" vs. my old rig at 6'6"
    - I was equally comfortable making accurate casts while feathering the line
    - using the old rig I was pitching a rattlin' spook (walking the dog); I managed to get one wind knot in that all day
    - there is a HUGE difference in the quality of gear (so far), but that old gear is 5 years old and does manage to catch fish
    - for the record the old gear caught reds, the new gear ladyfish - course that is all about lure selection, but I have a weird habit of catching quality fish on not so quality gear
    - I'm not sure sure I like the hook holder on the rod - it's a rubber one that you can move around; this may be a function of getting used to
    - I opted for 20lb powerpro on the new rig, 30lb power pro on the old rig
    - at 7'6" it does take a bit more looking out for walking through doors, putting it in the truck...I have visions of snapping it - not because of the quality of the gear, but because I've already hit the ceiling fan once.
Overall I would have to say (so far) I'm really please with the outfit and it's a big step up in quality for me. I'm sure there's better and more expensive gear out there, but this was a good to great experience for me. So far 4.5 stars out of 5 - the hook holder just feels weird to me. I liked the reel enough that I'll probably be buying another one soon. Time to ditch the old reels.

For the record I went home with one 20" red on the old rig, 2 ladyfish on the new rig.

As I told my wife,"I was out looking for a bit of tail from a red, but all I really nailed was two ladies." Yeah...she didn't find that funny either.

Specs below - I'll post my thoughts in a couple months after I wear it in.

Wright & McGill Flats Blue Spinning Rods
WMEBWTI76S1

Style: Spinning
Length: 7'6"
Sections: 1
Lure weight: 1/4 - 1 oz.
Line weight: 8 - 20 lb.
Action: Medium Fast
Power: Medium

Wright & McGill Sabalos Spinning Reel

Model: WMESAB3000
Size: 3000
Bearings: 9 + 1
Line capacity: 155 yards/8 lbs and 190 yards/6 lbs
Gear ratio: 5:2:1
Spare spool: yes-aluminum
Thick power bail
Long life bail spring
Anti-twist line roller
JB
Vlap

Re: McGill Flats Blue Spinning Rod / Sabalos 3000

Post by Vlap »

I have a sabalos reel and so far I have had no problem with it after one year+ of use with little to NO care.

I have one of his older model rods and still reach for it before any of my St. Croix. When I have the need and the $$$ I will buy more of these combos.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

I will tell you this much the 3000 is a little heavier then my symtres but i have know complaints at all. I will actually be getting ready to purchase another 3000 or 3500 i havent decided yet on which one i will purchase though but you willbe very happy.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Swapped out to a 2500 and moved the 3000 to a temporary rod.

Rig is pretty sweet and I've landed a variety of fish on it now.

A 5' Blacktip gave it a good run for the money, but I opted to snap off rather than fight it on. That said, during the brief fight it was "fun" and the rod held up nicely, the reel peeled out line fast enough, but since I didn't have wire it was a forgone conclusion who would win that fight. I clamped on to the spool and literally cut my loses - otherwise it would have spooled me.
JB
Angrypinfish

Post by Angrypinfish »

I have 2 flats blue rod 7.6 and 7.9 i love them... I put 3000 stradic on 7.6 and right now i have 4000 spheros on 7.9 but im changin in to 4000 stradic...
scotty14

Post by scotty14 »

Do you guys find that 7'6" and 7'9" are too long for use in the kayak? I used to use all 7 1/2 ft rods until switching to 7ft or 6'6" . Seems like I had much more control fighting fish and casting around mangroves. I beleieve 7'6" is the shortest rod that they carry in the power and action that Im looking for.
-Scotty-
-------------------------
<Heritage> Redfish 12 (Khaki)
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Well...I have a pretty long kayak and having that extra 1-1.5' helps get the fish around the bow no problem. I guess this is more applicable for big fish as the small ones I can horse around more.

There has been an occasion or two where I was in tight quarters and casting at an odd angle and wanted it to be 6', but 99% of the time I feel it's fine.

Personally I don't find it to be a big deal, but I also use that rig on the open water where it's money.
JB
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

As far as an update goes on the rig, I like it. The only issue I have had is a bit of salt water build up right under the drag. I did submerge the reel and all I did was add a bit of reel oil. Just a couple drops.

The rod has held up nicely and has survived 2 ceiling fan episodes on low. [ :oops: sigh - user error]

On the 2500 I do like the fact that you don't need a ton of line to fill the spool. It's my plastics/spoon rod. I don't bother with backing and just "fill 'er up". I use 20lb power pro.

The 3000 holds more so I'm covered when heaving those big ol' plugs in open water and something makes a run. Right now it's on an Ugly stick that has seen many a battle. It ain't pretty, but it works.

Both of these reels can be bought on sale at Dicks for $59 - so it's hard to beat that price. I talked to the sales guy and he said every 2-3 weeks they go on sale in the summer.

I guess the final word is that I would buy the rig again - next update in 12 months (maybe).
JB
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Moved the 3000 to St. Croix Mojo Inshore 7' M power. Fast action. $109 from Cabelas. $89 after $20 coupon.

I really like the 2500 on the Wiggins rod. It's light enough to use all day. Son has taken a liking to it as well.

Pretty much closes the thread out. Well...that and the rods make a fashion statement unto themselves...deep purple for matching evening wear or blue camo for when your feeling extra chipper.

I guess I'm a Ford kinda guy - any color as long as it's black.
JB
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

After about 18 months of constant use I figured I would update this thread.

I find that the sabalos require a bit more maintenance than I like, but I don't have a good point of reference to say that this is out of the norm. The 3000 seems to be smoother and out last the 2500, but I fish the heck out of the 2500; due to being so light it's my go to reel. I would estimate that per trip I'm casting at minimum 100 times and getting close to 300 would not be unusual. Spons and paddle tails are a fast retrieve. I've been through at least one set of drag washers - which come to think of it isn't a bad thing.

That said, one 2500 finally bit the dust. This is after um-teen full water dunkings and fish. On sale and a coupon for $59 it's a tough deal to beat. That said I figured I would try something else and opted to go with a Penn 2000. More details on that later.

My main beef with the Sabalo is you cannot get replacement parts.

The rod has seen the equal amount of abuse and is showing it's age. The silly rubber hook holder blew out months ago. I noticed on the new rods they put metal ones in. That said, rust is now developing under the guides on pretty much all the eyes. The rod is certainly functional, but aesthetically it's looking pretty rough around the edges.

The cork has aborbed layers of sunblock and although not slick, it's not anywhere near as porous as it originally was.

Which frankly may not be a bad thing.

Chips on the rod show that the blank was white - so it's not quite an as bad as it could be.

My mojo rod which I take on many trips (except wade trips) is not showing the age, but I don't fish it as hard, but it does get cleaned just as frequently. No rust but it's a deep purple blank - to hard to tell if there's any in there.

Given that I fish a bunch I suspect that all the above may be normal. Comments welcome.

JB
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

So...going on year 5 or 6 on one of my rods I thwacked it pretty good on a cast and the tip snapped.

I called up Wright & McGill; same policy in effect for a broken rod; no questions asked $30 we'll send you a new one.

It has a fancy white section towards the butt now; they moved the metal hook holder to the side. No more silly rubber hook holder "thingy". The guide also have a cool navy blue ring - sweet, but is it any more functional? Probably not. I would have been fine with black, but it does look cool.

Over 5-6 years on 4-5 rods so far I've had to return 2.

Decent rods that get the job done. Personally I like the 7'6" one with a faster action. The 7'9" is a bit stiffer.

Now if they would ditch the camo blue...
JB
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

I just read this thread which was completed back in December. Excellent long term review of affordable fishing equipment. It's easy to have a short term issue with one reel or rod and then think "these have all gone to crap". A good long term unbiased review is great to see. Thanks JB.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

10-4. I'm not a big fan of parting with my $ and these rigs get the job done. I fish them almost every week for many years. I have a couple guide friends who love the stradic 3000's and the reels are VERY good - I broke down and bought one, but at $170 you can get 2-3 Sabalos.

Stradics are VERY good reels, very smooth drag but we're fishing for reds/snook/trout - not poon. So that's a buyer issue - both will get the job done.

Now for big game fish - poon is my choice - I started on the lower end (Shimano 4500/6000's) and upgraded to Cabo 60's. I put the stones to the poons MUCH faster now. I got sick of the 45-60 min fight on whimpier gear. The last one was 20 min on a 130-145# fish in the pass where the fish tried to sound. We were vertical on her and man did we go toe to toe. 50# power pro, 8' Teramar, 60 Cabo. No more mister nice guy.

The 4500/6000 are now trolling rigs (baitrunner lets you adjust without opening bail).

I must say I do chuckle a bit when I see guys in their $50-60K boat and $3-4K of gear. I'm out there in my $9K skiff hanging in there - our best poon date last year we jumped 8 in one trip. Better yet - in the kayak it's about as cheap as it gets; I thought I was ready for poon in a kayak, but I do like the comforts of the skiff.

Bottom line - you don't need uber expensive gear to fish, but on big fish (+100#) I would spend the extra 25-30%.
JB
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Just a fyi, i purchased the 7'3" inshore rod with the sabalos 3000 and ive been really happy with it, a year later I bought another and have held up nice, no rust no issues, i have the newer ones with the white handle. Anyway I have bought mine in the spring, they have a deal around spring where you buy the rod and get the reel free, plus a $20 off if you spend $100, so i used that to buy my power pro, plus free shipping, so in the whole setup i have under $110, thats delivered to my front door. So ive only spent about $220 for both rods and i know their not the best but for that price its hard not to buy. I plan on waiting for the sale again and try out a tarpon rod should be under $150