WTB -- updated Digital Point & Shoot camera

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

WTB -- updated Digital Point & Shoot camera

Post by krash »

OK, my sons wedding is coming up quickly and I need to get a new point & shoot digital camera, not a waterproof'd one for fishing. I'm kind of out of the technical loop on digi-cam's.

Looking for something that takes very good still's, don't GAF about video. I have the Pentax W60 for fishing, but find it is to slow for my liking when taking photos. This is going to be the wedding of the century, actually 2 ceremony's.. Friday Sunset beach wedding American Jewish with party to follow late into the nite, then a full on Indian-Hindu'ish wedding ceremony on Saturday afternoon followed by Black Tie optional party till there is no more party'rs. There may be Cobra's, Elephants, Horses, and Clowns involved.

Any Camera hobbist out there with some suggestions ?
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
kmeng

Re: WTB -- updated Digital Point & Shoot camera

Post by kmeng »

Krash,
I'm not a photography guru by any means of the imagination but I play one on tv! Seriously though, I would highly recommend the Fuji S5200 or a newer version of it. I have had the S5200 for about 10 years and it takes wonderful pictures. It is a point and shoot but has great features and takes wonderful pictures. Here are a few examples:

Portrait of my sis:

Action:

Landscape:

Keep in mind, these samples are from downgraded FB photos. The originals are much nicer.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Finepix- ... B0007GIXSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

My first suggestion is to hire a professional photographer. Weddings only come around once (hopefully). Also, weddings are hard to shoot and you need to know lighting, shooting angles and post processing.

That being said, I have had the best luck with Canon products. I have a new Nikon D5200 DSLR, but the Nikon point and shoots I have had, had problems with low light. All of the point and shoots have very small sensors except for the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ1000 or the Sony DRC RX10, but these two run $800+. No mater what you get, make sure it has image stabilization. This will help a lot, particularly if you are hand holding the camera.

For a point and shoot, my first choice would be a Canon G16. It can give high quality shots, but runs about $400 and only has a 5X zoom. It is used by a lot of pros when they are running and gunning. It also has a hot shoe to add a better flash.

Second choice would be a Canon SX500. It gives good quality shots plus it has a 30X zoom, which would help you get some hard to get close ups. It only shoot video at 720, but you said that was not an issue. In low light with high zoom, you are going to get some noise in the prints. I think it runs about $250.

The lowest price I would go is the Canon Elf 330. I gives acceptable prints, and has a 10X zoom. It runs about $150 and is small and compact. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for.

There are two on line stores I would recommend:

B & H Photo http://www.bhphotovideo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
Cameta Camera http://www.cameta.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have dealt with both and both have good reputations. Most of the online stores are rip off artists.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Thanks for that reply, a bit late but very helpful.
Yes there were professional photographers, 2 plus a video-grapher and 400 guest with phone cameras and a multitude of point and shoots.

We ened up getting a Cannon Sx400 ( I think), its like 16mp with 30x optical zoom.. worked out well, bought an 8g fas chip and gave it to my sis-in-law and said shoot.. she ended up with about 600 photos...

A friend who is a photo hobbist too about 800 photos, and stitched to gether a very nice collage video with music that he presented us last night at a Mem. day party with about 8 couples who were at the wedding. Hes got a Lieca Mxx.. 24mp Digi.. fully manual and had some amazing shots.

Cant wait to see the professional shots, but in todays world there are literally thousands of shots taken by guest at the ceremonies and parties that keep showing up on FB pages.

The wedding started with a beach ceremony on Friday at Sunset at the Ritz Beach Club on Lido Key, then a full blown Indian ceremony on Saturday with my son arriving on a Elephant walking up 41 & John Ringling Blvd to the Ritz Carlton Sarasota, ending with a PPV showing of the Pakio/Mayweather fight at midnight in one of the ballrooms.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

krash wrote:Thanks for that reply, a bit late but very helpful.
Yes there were professional photographers, 2 plus a video-grapher and 400 guest with phone cameras and a multitude of point and shoots.

We ened up getting a Cannon Sx400 ( I think), its like 16mp with 30x optical zoom.. worked out well, bought an 8g fas chip and gave it to my sis-in-law and said shoot.. she ended up with about 600 photos...

A friend who is a photo hobbist too about 800 photos, and stitched to gether a very nice collage video with music that he presented us last night at a Mem. day party with about 8 couples who were at the wedding. Hes got a Lieca Mxx.. 24mp Digi.. fully manual and had some amazing shots.

Cant wait to see the professional shots, but in todays world there are literally thousands of shots taken by guest at the ceremonies and parties that keep showing up on FB pages.

The wedding started with a beach ceremony on Friday at Sunset at the Ritz Beach Club on Lido Key, then a full blown Indian ceremony on Saturday with my son arriving on a Elephant walking up 41 & John Ringling Blvd to the Ritz Carlton Sarasota, ending with a PPV showing of the Pakio/Mayweather fight at midnight in one of the ballrooms.
Awesome, I would had liked to seen your son cruising downtown on the elephant. Congratulations on your new daughter.

I recall you mentioning also trying to get on some chartering during the trip? How'd that workout? Or did you try using those kayaks you found?
I would like to help you in our area but it sounded like you had a group thing going. Hit me up if your over here and want someone to fish with on our flats. I have an 14.5 ultimate and 2 person canoe, same one as BFW, so we could definitely make something work. Timing and scheduling could be an issue but who knows.

ps. heard the fight sucked. I followed it on twitter, didn't see it. Knew Mayweather was in his prime and Pacman had been out of it for a bit and now that shoulder injury has come to light. What a scam it seems to had been. But then again, it sure had a buzz and I'm sure the RITZ Ballroom was fun.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Unfortunately the fight really did suck.. and it sure sounds like a scam after the fact... but I would think that if Pakio really did have a shoulder injury or hand injury.. Mayweather should have beat the crap out of him but that did not happen either...

Looking for fishing info for a Sept. vacation week I'll be over in LongBoat key.. want to hire a local Sarasota bay area guide for a half or 3/4 day trip for myself and a buddy... but also would be very interested in hooking up with a local for a canoe/kayak adventure. My buddy is not that much of a fisherman so I'd not subject him to a paddle adventure, a guide on a flats boat is Ok for him as he only needs to cast & reel, hes a tennis player so he'll be looking for a game one day, we'll also have wives along to entertain as well.

I think its the second week of Sept.. like the 7th til the 12th, but ncheckin out Sat. the 12th so it would have to be during the week.

Rik

Post by Rik »

Krash,

Get hold of me when the time gets close. I live in Sarasota.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Rik wrote:Krash,

Get hold of me when the time gets close. I live in Sarasota.
Will do....