Yeah, it's only 8.5mp....BUT!

Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Yeah, it's only 8.5mp....BUT!

Post by Norm »

I had a chance to play around some with my camera yesterday afternoon...any pointers would be helpful. When I look at these on the computer they looked really sharp...yet when I post them....they seem to lose something in the translation and seem a little fuzzy :? Camera was set at full mega pixel...which on this camera is 8.5.

Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Rik

Re: Yeah, it's only 8.5mp....BUT!

Post by Rik »

Can't tell using my phone but are these hosted on photobucket? If so, they reduce the quality.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Rik wrote:Can't tell using my phone but are these hosted on photobucket? If so, they reduce the quality.

Yes....who would you suggest?
Rik

Post by Rik »

I think all the free sites cut the quality to reduce the bandwidth. Photobucket has reduced it a little bit at a time as they grew. With millions of pics now they consume a ton of bandwidth that they don't charge for. I can only imagine the size of their data storage and bandwidth bill each month. Maybe a newer site, if someone knows of one, that is trying to compete will do better.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Try preshrinking your file prior to sending it to them.

I know Canon DPP has a batch resize function. So I get all my photos the way I want them and then batch shrink them down to 800x600 before I send it to them - so the file size goes from 8MB to 200KB. Anything bigger than 600 goes off the page and you end up scrolling anyway. PLus you can store a bunch more photos that way.

That said I was curious if I was losing any resolution because I thought they looked about right so I checked their FAQ. Full details here- seems they keep the file, but post a condensed version.

What camera are you shooting? The software should have some type of batch resize on it.

BTW - take a look under "Upload" you'll see a "Customize Upload Options". You can tweak that a bit too.
JB
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

If your uploading to Photobucket make sure you set it to high quality before starting your upload. It takes longer but the quality is far better...
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

gatordave wrote:If your uploading to Photobucket make sure you set it to high quality before starting your upload. It takes longer but the quality is far better...
Haven't seen that setting :? Is that on my computer or on photobucket?
Rik

Post by Rik »

Photobucket. On the upload page you'll see this - Customize Upload Options

You can also go into your settings and change it to make it permanent
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

Rik wrote:Photobucket. On the upload page you'll see this - Customize Upload Options

You can also go into your settings and change it to make it permanent
Yeah what Rik said. It makes a big difference.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

If your going to post photos of the Gulf I would suggest waiting until a Tarpon Jumps before taking a picture.
0 0 1