20121111 - TPA Aquarium

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

20121111 - TPA Aquarium

Post by jbdba01 »

Figured I would exercise yea ol' T2i at the aquarium - 18-135mm lens, all hand held.. We loaded up the family including Wonderpup (Guide dog in training) to check out the sites.

Couple lessons from the trip - take a tripod and a shutter release. Using a timer is another alternative - good luck on that. I had a bunch of shots that did not come out - it's a tough shot. Florescent lights, darkness, contrast, moving subjects...one thing to remember is put the lens right on the glass and shoot a bunch. Polarize lens might help, but it makes things darker. Regardless I went for all aspects... If you're into bird shots there's plenty there too. You can get really tight on the shots.

We rounded out the visit by hitting a Greek restaurant across Channelside. Watching the cruise ship Paradise getting a fresh coat of paint we had some of the flaming cheese and gyros. It was well worth the cost - about $9 for a gyro on the lunch menu. I guess the smells and activities were too much for Wonderpup as he slept under the table the entire meal - he started to snore as well.

Texture and color...

Blinds

Bugs

Net

Motion

Schooling

Paws Up

Lighting

Beached

Aperture Priority

Turtles in a half shell

Perspective

Looking glass

Stairs (Funny - now I get why some dogs don't like to go down steps.)

I blew this shot - he was looking straight down the steps; at the "end" of the steps there's actually another set of steps, but he can't see them. He has to trust that they will be there otherwise it's a 10 foot drop.

B&W

Dragon

Color version - they are quite green, but the fouresnt light messes up the background

And yes they do have some fish - big ones at that...Wonderpup weighs in at about 72lbs so you can get the scale...

Last edited by jbdba01 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JB
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: 20121111 - TPA Aquarium

Post by Manning »

Great shots. I went there earlier this year with my family and it is a great place. Not sure why this is, but I came home with lots of pictures of sharks and tarpon from the big tank.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: 20121111 - TPA Aquarium

Post by jbdba01 »

I think the big Jewfish they have in there is in the beginning of one of the fishing showing shows.

I liked the schooling sardines; occasionally a little blacktip would run through it messing up the whole scene. The reds in there were HUGE...if you haven't been, it's worth the price of admission. A better deal is the year long pass. I think my wife did the groupon coupon "thang".

If you're into close up photography (birds, turtles, fish) it's great. It's kinda cheating, but the results are hard to beat.

Skip eating at the aquarium and eat somewhere at Channelside.
JB