Touch of pink...

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Touch of pink...

Post by jbdba01 »

Figuring I was going to demo some kayaks and get a feel for the next JB SS Crabpot, I opted to fish Weedon Island in the early hours. Demo thread here.

With a high tide I and a bunch of weeds making life difficult, I went into the groves looking for reds/snook. I threw the kitchen sink at them and obviously my presentation was off or I was fishing the wrong holes/areas, but it was goose eggs for me. To add a bit of insult to injury I had an osprey land about 10 feet from me and took off with a nice 17-18" trout. At that point I knew the gig was up and threw in the towel.

So I switched to plan D (plans A, B and C didn't work out so hot) - photography. With a 135mm lens I knew I had to get close, and every time I did the Osprey or Ibis took off. I manged to get one decent shot of a Spoonbill and only after purposely I woke him up did I manage to get a shot.

It wasn't the best shot, but made up for the fishing.

I was able to test out a variety of boats (a separate thread for later) and meet up with some folks to add faces to cyber-aliases. Always a good thing.

Regardless below is an OK shot. I liked the colors (perhaps a bit over saturated), and emphasize the bird/color by making everything else B&W. I probably should invest in a longer lens, but it'll probably be a kayak first.

I couldn't recall seeing any Spoonbills on the South side of Tampa; so I spent a bit more time on these guys.

1/250, 5.6, 135mm, ISO 100. Canon T2i.

JB
Heywood

Re: Touch of pink...

Post by Heywood »

Very nice. There are Spoonbills on the south shore, just north of where you like to fish. Low tide is the best time to find them. Winter lows are the absolute best times.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: Touch of pink...

Post by jbdba01 »

Cool...I'll look for them then; hopefully they won't be too skittish. I suspect I'll still have the 135mm so it may be tough getting in tight.

Thanks for the demo yesterday too.
JB