T2i and the pelican case....

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

T2i and the pelican case....

Post by jbdba01 »

I finally got the case in and thought I was going off Anna Maria to chase some poon and get some poon shots, but I ended up working at 4am and out the door chasing Reds at 6am.

The fishing was good, but this thread is for the photography forum.

I threw in the camera into the pelican and we were off.

Two major gotchas - which I should have expected - 1) let the camera adjust to the environment before you go out. I was cleaning the lens over and over because of humidity for about 30 min. 2) close the pelican when the camera is out. I almost splashed the case when it was open. Dee dee dee...

What I really like about the T2i (and is probably true for any pro-sumer dslr) is the fact that even though I don't always get in tight enough, the 18/20MB helps compensate for that. I shoot everything raw and then post process.

Below are 4 shots that I took on Sat.

A touch too much color saturation on this one.

What I also like about the camera is the ability to dial in on a setting and just let the camera do the work. For the 4th I was at Lake Lanier pretending to be 20 again (ok - 15); I took off the polorazing filter, set the camera on Tv mode at 1/500 of a sec, and continous mode. I told my son just get in tight and hold the button until the shot is gone. Granted I only get 4 fps, but everyone was having so much fun I just let them tear it up. We ended up with 497 photos (8GB card) and lots of very good shots - so the camera makes a good photographer out of just about anyone (OK - with just a touch of coaching and some post processing).

Anyway - below is a sample of a) my styling and profiling at 47 :cool: , and b) a cloudy shot at noon at 1/500 - I think the iso was 400. There was just enough light to get the shot and I really had to sharpen the photo AFTER I cropped the shot a bunch, and that's where the bang for the buck is. That extra oomph when you go...man if I only had that extra stop or IS or could switch lenses - that why I like the DSLR and now a days they are somewhat "cheap". And yes it is spooky taking it out of the case on a kayak.

JB
bigguy

Re: T2i and the pelican case....

Post by bigguy »

What size case did you get? I am wanting one for my D-3000 and its 2 lens. I want it to be as smalland cheap as possiable.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I ended up with the Pelican 1400 - I found it on ebay. I don't see the listing out there, but below is the email I went with last June. Looks like they've come down a bit on price - I see one out there "buy it now" - $69 free shipping. Here it is. As usual buyer beware, but he does have +140000 sales - 99.8% postive.

The engraved nameplate was something I really didn't care about but was free. I went with Orange - figured if it goes overboard it'll be high vis.

It's a bulky set up that takes up a bunch or room, but if you're seriously into photography you'll find the room. These are the dimensions:

Model Exterior Dimensions (LxWxD) Interior Dimensions (LxWxD)
1400 13.37x11.62x6.00 11.81x8.87x5.18

I suspect you could put two lenses in the box; you'll just sacrifice a bit of padding somewhere. If you're in a kayak no big deal - not like it'll take a pounding. In my powerboat it was a big deal to me so I centered the body and lens. You can always buy a second set of foam.

BTW - test it before you go out. I submerged mine with a paper towel. Lastly humidity is a hassle - I leave the camera and case open in the garage the night before - even then there's no guarantee that you wont fog up.

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 18:00:43 -0400
Subject: Pelican 1400 withfoam+rngraved nameplate to 33547

(1) Pelican 1400 with foam + engraved nameplate = $82.42 delivered to Florida, USA, Nameplate order form attached. I will send you a Special Paypal invoice keyed to this order form Use it to pay...no exceptions...it can ship Tuesday. Colors are available Give first and second choice. thank you jim (440) 582-0818
JB
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

The 3000 is a smaller body so you should have no problem fitting that and two lenses into a 1400. I can fit my Nikon D40 with three lenses including a zoom and large wide angle. In addition, there is room for a point and shoot plus spare batteries, filters, remotes, etc. I keep a pack of desiccant beads in there to soak up any moisture that makes its way in. Ive put my camera gear to the test with no problems (knock on wood) in five years. The only time I get nervous is when I have it open on my lap in my kayak shooting something.

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

bigguy wrote:What size case did you get? I am wanting one for my D-3000 and its 2 lens. I want it to be as smalland cheap as possiable.
You're on your own on these...saw them in the catalog I get once every 1-2 months.

Cheap, cheaper, cheapest(probably rusts).

I think the ebay deal I saw earlier was the best. Figured I would post it on the forum in case someone else was interested.
JB
bigguy

Re: Re: T2i and the pelican case....

Post by bigguy »

jbdba01 wrote:
bigguy wrote:What size case did you get? I am wanting one for my D-3000 and its 2 lens. I want it to be as smalland cheap as possiable.
You're on your own on these...saw them in the catalog I get once every 1-2 months.

Cheap, cheaper, cheapest(probably rusts).

I think the ebay deal I saw earlier was the best. Figured I would post it on the forum in case someone else was interested.
I was thinking of the 50 -75$ range, witch I think is enough for a 1400:

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk