Canon Rebel XS question

Pirogue

Canon Rebel XS question

Post by Pirogue »

Since there appears to be quite a few fantastic photographers here, I figured I would post a few shots and a couple questions.

We bought a new camera, The Canon EOS Rebel XS with the standard 18-55mm lens this weekend. The purpose is to capture action shots from my daughter's volleyball tournaments. So far, probably due to our ignorance, we are unimpressed. The first shots we took, we had the camera set on the sports setting. But they were blurry. Here is an example. Notice the blurry arm.

After much monkeying around with settings in manual mode, we settled on the following:
speed 1/50
f stop 5.6
iso 1600
and the resolution is the best setting

Here are a few examples of the result.

We really expected some better quality after dropping almost $600. But, I can probably attribute a lot of this to user error.

I am going to adjust the lighting etc in iPhoto.

Can any of you guys offer suggestions for action shot settings?

Thanks,
Tom
1 3 12 120 3000
Pirogue

Re: Canon Rebel XS question

Post by Pirogue »

Here are a few retouched photos from iPhoto. I guess it's not too bad.

1 3 12 120 3000
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Are they playing volleyball on a tile floor ? Looks a little hard on the knees.
0 0 1
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

There is nothing wrong with the camera or necessarily your technique. The problem is strictly the lack of lighting. In order to stop motion in fast moving sports, you need to be shooting at least 8-10 times as fast a shutter speed as you are shooting (1/400 s or faster). Otherwise, the pictures will be blurry unless the scene is fairly static. The only answer to that is $$$ for a faster lens. A popular lens for volleyball is the something along the lines of a 70-200 mm f/2.8. You can somewhat overcome the issue by using multiple flashes bounced off the ceiling or walls, but once again, you're talking $$$. On a more reasonable budget, I'd pick up a 35 mm f/1.8 or a 50 mm f/1.8. It looks like you can get fairly close to the court so the shorter focal lengths should allow you to get some good shots.
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

The last photo from iphoto is not too bad. Bluntly speaking, the first 2 "suck" ----I am sure the grils don't have purple legs. That looks like a result of underexposure.
You have the right idea by jacking up the ISO. Try that in the sports mode.
Then in i Photo play with the "exposure" control only to lighten the picture. You will probably not be a ble to crop the pics too much.
What Dustin said is good advice but I doubt you are allowed to use flash.
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Dustin,
I did some searching on Mr. Gores web, and it looks like your lens recommendations are spot on. The 50 mm f1.8. may be the ticket. I will have to price them out.

Shamus,
The tourney was at the Orange County Convention Center and the floors were plastic tiles for temporary courts. My Daughter does not like them. She prefers wood floors.

Tree-bone
You are wrong. They do have purple legs. We just got back from Wonka's Chocolate factory the other night. Seriously, I will take a look at iPhoto again. To be honest, I am one of the least artistic people on this earth and never noticed the coloring. Now I know what to look for.

Thanks all.

T
1 3 12 120 3000
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Bump up your iso - that XS should be good up to at least 800. Try 1600 - your shots will have more noise/grain in them, btu they might lock in the picture. My T2i is good up to 800 minimum - I've pushed 3200. It will go up to 6400. Otherwise, you'll need a flash indoors - and that will be limited too. Make sure IS is turn on - pretty much always (there used to be an issue when IS was on the tripod, but that was years ago). Or...as you already know get an L series lens. Also seriously consider a quality tripod with a remote - put it on continuous; I think the Rebel gets 3 fps - you may want to look at mirror lock too. But frankly just get the basic shots, then work your way through the above.

If you spend the $ on the glass, go look at used. BTW - the L series lenses (those are the white ones you see on the sidelines of the football games) I've looked at will run about $1500-2000.

Check out http://www.photodo.com before you buy. Experiment, enjoy...and then learn photoshop. Then reference this thread...

Looks at the "nifty-fifty" - it should be about $100, that said, you'll have to be on top of the action.

BTW - if you get photoshop get the student version - she's in HS - correct? So that's $100 vs $800. Then spend about 8 days solid learning it. That's eight 8 hours days. Expect to remember 50%.

Lastly - $600 is very much on the low end for a DSLR. You want the best of breed you'll be pushing thousands - easy.
JB
Rik

Canon Rebel XS question

Post by Rik »

Try some fishing pictures. Use that as an excuse to get out on the water
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Rik wrote:Try some fishing pictures. Use that as an excuse to get out on the water
Lessee,

Cheer leading, Volleyball, Honey do's, Church, watching the kids while wife works on Sat mornings before aforementioned volleyball and cheer. And I just finished a sawdust making project.
What's this fishing of which you speak? I visit this site to live vicariously through others exploits. Anyone want to buy two canoes and a bunch of fishing gear?
1 3 12 120 3000
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

Very nice!
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
Rik

Post by Rik »

Making sawdust is an acceptable replacement for fishing. Nice stuff!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Pirogue wrote: Image
When does shop class open? I really want to learn the tricks of the trade to make some furniture like that.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

americanrobster wrote:When does shop class open? I really want to learn the tricks of the trade to make some furniture like that.
Best advice. Just find something you like and jump right in. Maybe that came out wrong when discussing a bed. :roll: Just get some wood and start building.

To be honest, the first night on the bed had me quite tentative. I am by no means a little fella. And I had to have a lot of faith it would not come apart when I got in. Sorta like when I built my first boat and launched in the dark at Cockroach Bay. What's the worst could happen?

So, as to lessons. I am going to start a new project soon. It will be a watercraft, (paddle board). So, if Rik deems appropriate, I may do a step by step in the rigged boat section.

With out hands on, that is the next best step. And read a lot.
1 3 12 120 3000
Rik

Canon Rebel XS question

Post by Rik »

So deemed, Pirogue
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

That's a very challenging environment you're trying to shoot in. The gym lighting appears to be quite blue to begin with, then you have the blue floor reflecting onto red-ish skin tones—no wonder their legs look purple. You can correct a good deal of that in Photoshop. My wife just bought the same camera, so I'll look into it, but you may also be able to adjust the camera's color temperature to counter balance the lighting. After that, as has been stated, you want a fast shutter speed to stop the motion and a high ISO. Shoot lots and lots of pictures until you find what works best. And lastly, remember that blur is not always bad. You can use it in a creative way to show action. Don't tell us you're not creative after making such nice sawdust.
1 1 12?