DSLR and Dicapac??

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

DSLR and Dicapac??

Post by jbdba01 »

Anyone using a dslr with a dicapac- if so can you share your thoughts/experiences.

I'm not looking to take the dslr snorkleing/diving - just provide additional protection on the water.

Currently I use a "junker" for 90% of my fishing/boating photos.

I'm not willing to part with $1K for a hard case. I could get a brand new G11 and a hardcase for less.

I've used a dicpac on a cheapie and it worked OK, but the dslr is welcome to the next level.
JB
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: DSLR and Dicapac??

Post by mikeB »

Get yourself an Olympus Stylus. Submersible, still and video mode, simple.
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

jbdba01 wrote:Anyone using a dslr with a dicapac- if so can you share your thoughts/experiences.

I'm not looking to take the dslr snorkleing/diving - just provide additional protection on the water.

Currently I use a "junker" for 90% of my fishing/boating photos.

I'm not willing to part with $1K for a hard case. I could get a brand new G11 and a hardcase for less.

I've used a dicpac on a cheapie and it worked OK, but the dslr is welcome to the next level.

I would like to know about this aswell. I would love to take my Nikon out, but to me its not worth the risk.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

mikeB wrote:Get yourself an Olympus Stylus. Submersible, still and video mode, simple.
Good idea, but not quite what I was looking for. Decent camera, but the quality won't be the same as a T2i. I'm looking to start work on my fishing photography. So I need a relatively high end camera (but not professional), with a high end lens.

That said the middle ground I'm at is a Canon T2i and 18-135mm. IMHO - a good start. I make get a nifty fifty lens and go from there, but the gotcha is it has to stay dry. L series lens will probably never happen.

After that I hope to buddy up with some p-f.com'ers and get some decent shots. I would love to get some good 'poon/snook/blacktip shots. Something jumping. I've done a ton of landscape type stuff, but I want to get into the fishing arena - I may have hampered myself at 3fps. We'll see.

The dicapac keeps the camera dry, but do you lose quality and is it worth $100. Functionality looks awkward too. On a point and shoot it will work, but I don't know about a dslr.

So far he best thing I've heard is pelican case and don't get it wet.

I'm pretty sure Heywood is shooting a Nikon DSLR, and when you look you can see a difference in the quality of the photos he's getting.

I'm just chick poop to go out there without some protection.
JB
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

I would strongly recommend going with the pelican case.

I have used mine for a year with no problems, I have the 1450 model and it fits my d5000 with a tokina 11-16, a nikon 35mm, nikon 17-55, and 70-200. I can also switch out the 35mm for a sb600 flash without a problem.
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

That's 2 votes for Pelican. I'll probably pick one up. EBay had some deals (new in box). Just need to make sure I get the foam liner with it.

Thanks guys.
JB
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

I would recommend getting the padded dividers instead of the foam if you plan on bringing a variety of glass with you.
Jose C

Hobie Revolution