FULL MOON TONIGHT

Tree-Bone

FULL MOON TONIGHT

Post by Tree-Bone »

This makes a good Photo Op.
Use your longest lens (200mm, etc) to take pictures of just the moon.
Take several shots with the moon in different corners of the frame.
Be SURE to set the exposure for the brightness of just the moon or all you get is a white spot with no detail. Example might be f 11 at 100 sec.
The exposure will be faster than you expect.

Now combine these shots of a large moon with any other subject for an interesting picture. The joy of digital and Photoshop.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

OK

Do I shoot in Manual mode? If so, what would be the settings?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Set your camera to "spot meter" if possible. With the Nikon the meter setting button is on the rear, left side. Set it to the smallest area possible.
The idea is to fill the frame with the moon as large as your lens will allow. Then the meter will read the reflected light from the moon and that is the setting you use. Start with the lens set at f 8 . Look at he picture and if there is no detail in the moon, increase the shutter speed one "click". Keep doing this until you get detail.
The film speed should be no higher than 200.

The thing that is confusing is that the light from the moon is very bright. Almost like daylight. Therefore you need a fast exposure (shutter speed).
If the exposure is too slow you burn out the detail.

Use a tripod or steady rest.

Hope the clouds clear!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Tree-Bone wrote:Set your camera to "spot meter" if possible. With the Nikon the meter setting button is on the rear, left side. Set it to the smallest area possible.
The idea is to fill the frame with the moon as large as your lens will allow. Then the meter will read the reflected light from the moon and that is the setting you use. Start with the lens set at f 8 . Look at he picture and if there is no detail in the moon, increase the shutter speed one "click". Keep doing this until you get detail.
The film speed should be no higher than 200.

The thing that is confusing is that the light from the moon is very bright. Almost like daylight. Therefore you need a fast exposure (shutter speed).
If the exposure is too slow you burn out the detail.

Use a tripod or steady rest.

Hope the clouds clear!
Man for a moment I thought I was reading a RosettaStone learning program......all foreign to me.......but very interesting....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

A little easier..... I looked up old notes and came up with exposures.
If you don't know about changing the meter patern on your camera do not try, just use these settings.

Set camera to Manual ("M")

Start with these : 100 ISO (film speed) = lens at f8 : shutter at 250
200 ISO (film speed) = lens at f8 : shutter at 500

Then look at pic and if no detail increase shutter speed one step at a time till you get detail in moon. In the event that the moon is too dark, decrease speed by one step.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Thanks, I've already got the tripod out and I'm going to give it a try.

No clouds, clear and crisp tonight.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

Tree-Bone is right. Should be a good photo opportunity.

Sunset is at 5:38 PM and moon rise is at 5:39 PM. This should add another great photo opportunity by placing something of interest in the foreground with the rising moon in the background.
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Best I could come up with. There is a large street light outside my house, I think it threw the picture off.

Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Good job Bill !

this at f10 @125 second

[img][img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc15 ... 9-6964.jpg[/img][/img]
DouGR81

Post by DouGR81 »

Hey thanks for the tip Tree-Bone..I've always wondered how to photograph the moon. Here's f/8 1/500sec @ 200mm

Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Incredible pics guys.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Full frame:

Cropped:

And a couple from yesterday:

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

WOW :shock:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

Good photos, guys. :shock: I'm impressed.

I went out to Ft. DeSoto hoping the moon would be rising behind the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, yet it rose quite away further to the north.

Here is a shot prior to the moon rising.

Moon rising over trees.

Notice that a plane traveling from right to left across bottom portion of the moon.

A "Blue Moon" taken last week while fishing at Tarpon Key.

Gary

Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Frog, did you get any shots of the bridge? I wish I had a night shot that I could add the moon to. Guess I'll have to venture down to get one one of these nights.
For those who might wonder why the moon is different colors in the posted shots, the lower it is in the sky the more red/orange. I had to wait for quite a while for it to clear trees and that is why it is more white.
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

Tree-Bone wrote:Frog, did you get any shots of the bridge?
Unfortunately, no. I tried, but I was having troubles with my camera. I was using my Olympus E3, which is fairly new to me and I haven't shot much with it recently and couldn't remember how to change some of the features to get a proper exposure. I need to start shooting more with the camera. Same advise I gave Jon, Prowler13angler, earlier today. :roll: :lol:
Gary