Strange Sky

J.P. FROG

Strange Sky

Post by J.P. FROG »

How many of you saw the incredible sky this morning? Wish I had time to get to a more suitable location to take pictures. This was only one of many of the strange circular formations in the clouds.

Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

My daughter pointed that out this AM. It was very strange looking.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
GO-Fish

Post by GO-Fish »

Interesting. Did you send these pictures to the local news weather casters? They may be able to explain the reason for the formations.
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

GO-Fish wrote:Interesting. Did you send these pictures to the local news weather casters? They may be able to explain the reason for the formations.
Didn't send the photo to a news caster, someone beat me to it, but from what I understand, the "holes" are caused by a jet that interrupts the cirro stratus clouds. The wispy formation inside the hole is what's left of the jets contrail. :? :?:
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Aliens! :shock:
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

There was a pic of them in the SP Times today, they should have used Gary's, his was much better. An explanation was with the pic, cannot find it online.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

I recently saw a satellite weather pic of Florida, where the land was covered by small puffy clouds, but where there is a body of water, (lake, bay gulf etc) there were no clouds. Had something to do with stablility, unstability, but I'll be damned if I remember the details.

Might be it, might not. :?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

teamshaft3 wrote:Might be it, might not. :?
Not. As noted above it is caused by airline exhaust.

From Charlie Paxton of the National Weather Service-

"This forms when cirro-cumulus clouds composed of super cooled liquid water below freezing are affected by airplane exhaust. Interestingly, the supercooled water clouds remain liquid even though tempatures may well be well below freezing until contact with a condensation nuclei or small particulate. In this case aircraft exhaust came in contact with the supercooled cloud around 26,000 feet at a tempature around -11 degress fahrenheit, causing the liquid to become ice crystal cirrus clouds creating a hole in the cloud. "

Is that enough science for everyone today?
Chief1600

Post by Chief1600 »

Anybody happen to see the brilliant orange sky yesterday at sunset? Same kind of clouds but they were just magnificent. Lit from below with the sun going down. Saw it when I was dring home from the office, it only lasted a few minutes and was gone by the time I got home to get the camera.
Jim - snooty elitist

"Of all pursuits mankind has devised to make you look stupid and uncoordinated, fly fishing is unquestionably number one." Jack Ohman, Fear of Fly Fishing
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Chief1600 wrote:Anybody happen to see the brilliant orange sky yesterday at sunset?
Just posted this: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=26307
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

J.P. FROG wrote:
GO-Fish wrote:Interesting. Did you send these pictures to the local news weather casters? They may be able to explain the reason for the formations.
Didn't send the photo to a news caster, someone beat me to it, but from what I understand, the "holes" are caused by a jet that interrupts the cirro stratus clouds. The wispy formation inside the hole is what's left of the jets contrail. :? :?:
Never in twenty years of flying have I ever seen a jet do that. Very weird.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Heywood wrote:Never in twenty years of flying have I ever seen a jet do that. Very weird.
How could you see it? It would have been behind you. :wink:

See more detailed scientific explanation above.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Yep I read it, only one problem. No contrails from the jet.

Were any crop circles seen yesterday?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

This explination is just another government coverup !

There have been many strange cloud formations just like this over Roswell, MN.

I have it from a reliable source ( the woman lives out in the barren desert and said she once dated Lively Baits) that the holes in the clouds are caused by a saucer shaped object.