Help

JoeS

Help

Post by JoeS »

Is it possible my camera is bad or am I just plain terrible at photography???
I have a Sony DSC W80; 7.2 MP; Super Steady Shot; iso3200........no matter what I do my pics come out very blurly.......example
I caught the little $hit in my spare bed yesterday
As you can see pics are blurly......oh and the dog is spoiled...thats a different story.......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

If it's a point and shoot, are you pressing the shutter halfway to focus before taking the shot?
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

teamshaft3 wrote:If it's a point and shoot, are you pressing the shutter halfway to focus before taking the shot?
Yes.....I know I am not the greatest photo taker but I have had more sucess with lesser cameras not that the DSC W80 is great......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
GO-Fish

Post by GO-Fish »

Check to make sure the Macro Mode is not on.

A friend was taking pictures at her mothers 70th birthday party and they all came out blurry because it was in macro mode. One it was switched off the photos came out clear.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

GO-Fish wrote:Check to make sure the Macro Mode is not on.

A friend was taking pictures at her mothers 70th birthday party and they all came out blurry because it was in macro mode. One it was switched off the photos came out clear.
I will look....Thanks
Tree-Bone

Iso

Post by Tree-Bone »

Are you shooting at ISO3200 ?? !! DON'T !!!

Try ISO 200

check this review. scroll down to the ISO test pictures

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_w80-review/
seeinred

Re: Iso

Post by seeinred »

Tree-Bone wrote:Are you shooting at ISO3200 ?? !! DON'T !!!

Try ISO 200

check this review. scroll down to the ISO test pictures

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_w80-review/
Beat me to it! I'm a novice with a camera, but so far I'm most pleased with shooting at ISO 200.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Thanks the tips helped........I still suck at pic taking ....just not as bad as before :roll:
BlueTuna

Post by BlueTuna »

I have the same camera and have had mine on Auto ISO and works OK. I think I'll try the 100 and 200 ISO as well. The web link is great help.

Thanks
"There's no such word as can't" - Dad
David
rsieminski

Post by rsieminski »

You just need to educate yourself a little about your camera and taking pictures in general. For starters, ALWAYS use the lowest ISO that the circumstances will allow. ISO is how sensitive the sensor is to light. The lower the light, the higher the ISO # needs to be. Being a small sensored, point and shoot digi, IMO, the images are worthless at much over ISO 200, maybe you could get away with 400 if you display is small. Secondly, compose the shot, depress the shutter 1/2 way to focus and meter, and slowly squeeze the shutter like a handgun, slow and deliberate. Sometimes I even hold my breath, to reduce motion. At 1st try to never shoot below 1/100th of a second, and work down from there. Good luck. The more you shoot, the better they will look.
Tight lines,
--Rick
Rik

Post by Rik »

....or, you could just wipe the sun lotion off the lens......
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

My 1st pic at ISO200 and the suntan lotion wiped off the camera :wink:
wifes SW Reef tank....Any better????

Tree-Bone

pic

Post by Tree-Bone »

Joe,
bad choice of subject to test for sharpness. Reason: you are shooting through glass and that combination with the water will normally not be sharp.
Try shooting anything stationary at distance of about 5' and again at 15'.
Ya don't have to be exact. Then we can see if the focus is good.
If you are indoors the flash should fire.
TB
rsieminski

Post by rsieminski »

Take a few at 5, 10, 15' of a red brick wall. Shoot it straight on, with nothing but the bricks in the frame. Then the image can be evaluated for many problems.
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

Joe, I grabbed the Exif data from your picture of your dog. Your first picture didn't have the exif data attached to it.

Make = SONY
Model = DSC-W80
Orientation = top/left
X Resolution = 72
Y Resolution = 72
Resolution Unit = inch
Date Time = 2008-11-17 10:23:55
YCbCr Positioning = co-sited
Exif IFD Pointer = Offset: 256
PrintIM Data = 28 Byte

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/20"
F Number = F3.5
Exposure Program = Not defined
ISO Speed Ratings = 125
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2008-11-17 10:23:55
Date Time Digitized = 2008-11-17 10:23:55
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Compressed Bits Per Pixel = 4
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Max Aperture Value = F2.83
Metering Mode = Pattern
Light Source = unknown
Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, return light detected
Focal Length = 8.7mm
Maker Note = 8456 Byte
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 3072
Exif Image Height = 2304
Interoperability IFD Pointer = Offset: 9166
File Source = DSC
Scene Type = A directly photographed image
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Scene Capture Type = Night scene
Contrast = Normal
Saturation = Normal

As you can see, your exposure was taken at 1/20 of a sec. That is a pretty slow shutter speed, which unless your camera has "image stabalization" which I doubt it does, it would be hard to hand hold a camera still enough to get a sharp image. Shooting at any speed less than 1/60 second should done using a tripod, unless you have image stabilization built into your lens or camera body. I'm guessing that because you shot in the "Night Scene" mode the camera used a longer exposure.

The flash did fire, giving it the proper exposure, but with the longer exposure, 1/20 of a sec, the rest of the time recorded enough ambient light and motion to give you a blurred image. That's my opinion, not necessarily right.

Try not to use the "night mode" but rather the "P" or Program mode if that is available. I think your "night mode" would be used if you wanted to take a picture of a night skyline with the camera set up on a tripod.

Hope this helps.
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Thanks everyone....actually I have learned a lot in a very short time......I took some pics today at Medard PArk and was happy with the results.....Program mode 200 ISO.....
Again Thanks All.......