Scanning Negatives

GO-Fish

Scanning Negatives

Post by GO-Fish »

I have boxes of old photos that I want to scan. Unfortunately a lot of them are on mat paper so a scan of the photo comes out so so. (not that the pictures are great to start with)

I'd like to scan the negatives and was wondering if anyone had advise on a good scanner and tips on scanning negatives.

Thanks
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Good scanners are pretty pricy. The Nikon 9000 costs about $2000. and scans slides, 35mm negs, and 120 size negs. It can scan a resolution of 4000 dpi.
Epson makes flat bed scanners (you can scan prints on a flatbed) and their top models are V700 ($500) and V750-M ($750).

Before you invest decide what you will do with the "picture" after you scan it. If you want to make large prints and have the scanner "fix" scratches then you need a high end scanner that has a built in program such as Digital ICE. The machines are not fast when running ICE, so the process can be time consuming.

How many negs do you want to scan... if you sort through them you may find there are less than you think. It may be cheaper for you to have a lab do the scanning. The lab I use charges $2.50 to scan a strip ( 4 negs)
at a size of 4x6 @ 256 dpi, and $4.50 sized at 8x12 @ 250dpi. From that I can pretty much print any size I want by "upsizing" that file in my computer. When they scan they put them on a CD (6.99) which I get.

When you said "photos" the is what is called a "Shoe Box Scan". The lab I use will scan up to 1000 prints for $99.99

Here is a link to that shop. Not close to Ft Myers but they do mail orders for lab work.

http://www.lakeshorecamera.com/
GO-Fish

Post by GO-Fish »

Tree-Bone thanks for the reply!

I was thinking of one of the desk top scanners for prints, negatives and some slides. I'll check out some of the models you mentioned but they may be a bit out of the price range.

I have a storage box full of photos and lots of negatives and wanted to start scanning them. Many of the pictures were taken with P&S 35mm cameras so I don't expect a lot from the in terms of quality just memories. If I find any pictures that are exceptional I'll check the labs around here, thanks for the info on the labs I did not consider that.
Hank

Post by Hank »

I have some old super 8 movies that my Dad took. I want to convert them to CD's but do not have a clue.
Any suggestions anyone??
Tree-Bone

Post by Tree-Bone »

Hank.

old movie film to DVD ( not CD )

a 2 hour DVD/ film transfer runs $49.95 plus $0.10 (Ten cents ) per foot of film. ( Small reels are 50 ' ) You can add sound and or titles, even mix slides, prints and movies.

Available at Lake Shore Camera, Palm Harbor, 727-938-6594
http://www.lakeshorecamera.com/

Where do you live?
Hank

Post by Hank »

:wink: Thanks for the heads up!
GO-Fish

Post by GO-Fish »

I ended up picking up an Epson Perfection V300 Photo scanner for around $99 +tax

I have just started to play with it and scanned some of my negatives.

Scanned from Print:

Scanned from Negative:

I'm sure there is a lot I have to learn about scanning and optimizing the image but it is nice to get some old pictures digitally if not just to look at and share with friends and family.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

I have a Cannon D6600 scanner that 35mm negatives .... it actually does pretty well ...
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association