saltwater_eat or catch and release

Tarpon14089

Post by Tarpon14089 »

I was wondering if more people catch and release. or do they take there catch home to eat for dinner. I mainly catch and release but always wanting to bring the fish home to eat, just dont know where to put it when kayaking. any ideas?
Rik

Post by Rik »

I eat fish and I use a cooler bag, available at Sams, to bring them home.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
mjrodney
Supporter 2012

Re: saltwater_eat or catch and release

Post by mjrodney »

As a former and avid North Carolina Largemouth Bass fisherman, I've become accustomed to catch and release.

Nothing wrong with eating your catch, though.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Rik wrote:I eat fish and I use a cooler bag, available at Sams, to bring them home.
Put a plastic trash bag in the cooler bag so it does not get slimed inside. Nothing wrong with keeping some catch.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Tarpon14089

Post by Tarpon14089 »

Sounds good guys, I use to live in ny and caught salmon on the boarder of ny and canada, we smoked them. They were amazing. Just new and wanted to see what you guys thought about it all.

Do they die right when you put them in the cooler bag, or do they jump around?
reload556

Post by reload556 »

i pratice filet and release . :tongue: if i catch something thats in season and in slot it goes home . if not it gets sent on its merry little way
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I think you will find the answer to this question run the gamet. Some are meat fisherman and some are strictly catch and release. Most fall somewhere in between. I tend to be way out on the catch and release side, but keep a fish once in a while.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Like Steve it's rare that I ever keep fish. If I do it's usually trout in the winter to make some dip.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

I keep two or three fish a year and only if I'm going to eat them that day. I like the catching a whole lot more than the eating!
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Although, I have found redfish mke a damn fine dip too.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I usually release but sometimes I'll toss one in the cooler.Somehow a can of beer just tastes better with some redfish slime on it!
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
fishpirate

Post by fishpirate »

Lots of nice!
nemo327

Post by nemo327 »

I keep the designated red fish on a stringer until time to go home. Then into the front hatch. Keep alert for sharks when using a stringer. They usually circle awhile before committing to your stringer. It could get "sporty" if one comes in. The quicker your fish gets on ice the better they taste.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

nemo327 wrote:I keep the designated red fish on a stringer until time to go home. Then into the front hatch. Keep alert for sharks when using a stringer. They usually circle awhile before committing to your stringer. It could get "sporty" if one comes in. The quicker your fish gets on ice the better they taste.
I used to use a stringer.....till a bull shark payed real close attention to me redfish one day.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Rik

Post by Rik »

Stringers are only good for surprise entertainment. If you use one, please use a 20 pound leader in the line. Trust me, you'll want it to break away
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Damau99

Post by Damau99 »

nemo327 wrote:I keep the designated red fish on a stringer until time to go home. Then into the front hatch. Keep alert for sharks when using a stringer. They usually circle awhile before committing to your stringer paris cdg transfer. It could get "sporty" if one comes in. The quicker your fish gets on ice the better they taste.
yes, becaouse sharks are very clever species.