Been Slacking in the food reports... Steak done right....

Vlap

Been Slacking in the food reports... Steak done right....

Post by Vlap »

Made an excursion to Mazzaros (Italian Market) yesterday got some stuff and was inspired to create an Italian style steak dinner.

First up is a fine Strip steak. (aka. new york strip) I read or heard some time ago that a Tuscan style of grilling such a steak included grilling it, slicing thin, topping with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt and a nice squeeze of lemon.Whether this is authentic or not I am not sure. (If not Italians should jump on it and claim it for it is brilliantly good) I modified this by marinating the Steak in Olive oil, Salt (I found a nice Sicilian Sea Salt at the market), Black Pepper and fresh Rosemary. A fine cut of meat should not be drowned in heavy marinades. This simple marinade respects the meat and enhances it rather then overwhelm and cover.

Once ready I got the veggies prepped. A couple good tomatoes, a bunch of scallions and a few chiles. I also had a nice Pugliese loaf. I sliced this on the bias. Brushed with oil and grilled. Once it was finished I moved the bread to the warming rack and topped with a slice of Lardo. This was my first time trying Lardo and I am in love.

All that remains is for the steak to be perfectly grilled. So far its looking righteous.

Loving the grill marks.

The completed plate. Finished the steak with a squeeze of grilled lemon and fantastic sea salt.
The tomatoes became part of a simple salad with fresh basil and chunks of a fresh mozzarella that had been made hours prior at Mazzaros. Incredible cheese!!!!!!!! A nice drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and some more sea salt.

Top with the other grilled veggies and bread. Dinner is served.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
Mark R

Re: Been Slacking in the food reports... Steak done right...

Post by Mark R »

Ahhhhhh, very nice! That's how I usually grill my steak (not sure about thin sliced though). Do tell about the Lardo. Never seen the stuff but heard a lot.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

For a sauce you need 3 things. A fat, an acid and an aromatic. The thin slicing allows the juices (aromatic) to seep out which mixes with the lemon juice (acid) and the oil (fat) This steak creates its own sauce using fresh bright flavors. Not slicing it would somewhat prevent the sauce. Not much but I find I like the steak sliced and dressed rather then dress and then slice.

Lardo is made from a specific fat on the pig. The hard fat on the back. It is cured with salt pepper and herbs (primarily rosemary). It has a slight bacony taste (the salt curing) with nice hints of herbs and rosemary. I enjoyed it raw and on the cooked toasts. Looking forward to trying it in other uses. Get to a good Italian market and give it a try. There are many uses I am starting to think of from roasted asparagus wrapped in slices of lardo to chicken baked with it to ???
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

yum!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

Looks great Vlap. I just had lunch at Mazzaros last week. Mazzaros is a great italian market and they sell all sorts of great food and pre-made dishes.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

ok now I'm hungry
0 0 1
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Does this help?

shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

your killing me !!
0 0 1
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Sweet tutorial as usual Jeff.
Just how good or bad is Lardo on the old arteries? ...sounds scary.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Offlander

Post by Offlander »

I was no more than 10 min away and you didn't call me over to share!! :( :(
Alan

Sherman said
"War is cruelty... the crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."

'Be who you are and say what you feel, because those that matter - don't mind.. and those that mind - don't matter.'

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.