Lion Fish: Have you caught any?

Here is a place to talk about our Environmental Concerns.
willcfish

Lion Fish: Have you caught any?

Post by willcfish »

The invasive Lion Fish are here to stay. Hopefully they will not be as bad as feared. It is pretty well accepted all we can do is keep the numbers in check and hope that there is a fish that will eat them or the price at the fish market is right that they become a viable resource for commercial fishermen. When I was at the Smithsonian Aquarium they said the only natural enemy was a sea snake that is worse than the Lion Fish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZhmvjCCNJc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Re: Lion Fish: Have you caught any?

Post by krash »

Have not caught any, but diving for lobster I do see more and more each year in the shallow rock/reef lines off Ft. Luaderdale.

I usually carefully survey a hole looking for Moray eels and Sea Urchins, now I have to watch for LionFish before reaching in for a bug.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
willcfish

Post by willcfish »

My daughter had a little saltwater catfish put a barb right through her finger while they were getting bait. Four hours in the Emergency Dept. and antibiotics. Ouch!!!
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

I just got back from an 8 day trip to the Dominican Republic, Curacao, Aruba and Grand Turk. Lion Fish were everywhere while I was snorkling. I talked to the local Bar Tender about them and everyone said they came from Florida. One of my guides says the only thing he likes to Spearfish are the Lionfish. They are here and everywhere else to stay.
willcfish

Post by willcfish »

That's what I hear they can't be gotten rid of. We just need to develop a market for them.