PLEASE READ AND TAKE ACTION - Protect Florida Waterways

Here is a place to talk about our Environmental Concerns.
Pirogue

PLEASE READ AND TAKE ACTION - Protect Florida Waterways

Post by Pirogue »

Maybe this has been discussed. But, I just saw a post on SouthernPaddler.com regarding re-defining the legal definition of Ordinary High water. For those of us who paddle and camp our waterways, we can definatley see the potential impact of this decision.

If you feel led, please fire off an e-mail to the decision makers. In my case, Representative Rachel Burgin. The Audubon Society has made it very simple.

Thank you for your consideration on this.

Tom

http://fl.audubonaction.org/site/Messag ... friendly=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Protect Florida's Waterways

Legislation has been filed to privatize state submerged lands.
Urgent Button

Urge the House Agriculture & Natural Resources Subcommittee to OPPOSE HB 1103 by Rep. Goodson. An identical bill has been filed in the Florida Senate.

The effect and purpose of these bills are to privatize tens of thousands of acres of publicly owned submerged lands in Florida’s rivers, lakes, and streams.

The bills do this by changing the legal definition of “Ordinary High Water”. The definition is changed to promote new conclusions in surveys which would set the “Ordinary High Water Line” at a lower elevation than current case law allows in Florida today. Lowering the elevation of “Ordinary High Water” causes the line between public and private lands to move further out in the water.

If you are a kayaker, airboater, fisherman, duck hunter, or bird watcher who maneuvers your means of conveyance around in shallow marshy water this means that someday, headed into your favorite place, you are going to encounter a fence, barbed wire, and “no trespassing” signs blocking your way. And, one day a little later in the future, you will see rooftops and strip malls where the ducks, deer, and wading birds used to be.

Representative Goodson needs to be contacted now and urged to drop this special-interest bill that may block the public from sovereign lands by turning those lands over to private parties. This is privatization of Florida’s public lands in rivers and lakes, pure and simple.

HB 1103 will be considered by the House Agriculture and Natural Resources Subcommittee on Tuesday, January 17 at 12:30 PM. To read this bill for yourself, please click here.
Ways You Can Help Right Now:
1. Use the email form below to contact the bill sponsor and the members of the House Agriculture & Natural Resources Subcommittee:
2. Pick up the phone and call these committee members right now:
Member Name Office Phone
Rep. Tom Goodson (R-Rockledge) (Bill Sponsor) (850) 488-3006
Rep. Steve Crisafulli (R-Merritt Island) (Chair) (850) 488-4669
Rep. Matt Caldwell (R-Lehigh Acres) (850) 488-1541
Rep. Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda (D-Tallahassee) (850) 488-0965
Rep. Jim Boyd (R-Bradenton) (850) 488-4086
Rep. Dwight Bullard (D-Miami) (850) 488-5430
Rep. Rachel Burgin (R-Riverview) (850) 488-9910
Rep. Luis Garcia (D-Miami Beach) (850) 488-9930
Rep. Richard Glorioso (R-Plant City) (850) 488-0807
Rep. Shawn Harrison (R-Tampa) (850) 488-3087
Rep. Steve Perman (D-Boca Raton) (850) 488-5588
Rep. Ray Pilon (R- Sarasota) (850) 488-7754
Rep. Elizabeth Porter (R-Lake City) (850) 488-9835
Rep. Franklin Sands (D-Weston) (850) 488-0590
Rep. Jimmie Smith (R-Inverness) (850) 488-0805
1 3 12 120 3000
Rik

Re: PLEASE READ AND TAKE ACTION - Protect Florida Waterways

Post by Rik »

Guys, this is land grab creep. Florida has a long and notorious history of handing precious wetlands to private hands. This is one more attempt.

Research the history of Fisheating Creek for an example.

We should all speak up on this one.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Rik

Post by Rik »

Imagine paddling one of our many rivers and creeks, pulling over to the shore to have lunch in a place you've enjoyed many times. Except this time you get ticketed for trespassing.

This is basically giving away our public lands to private owners. For free and I doubt any of them will even say thank you. They'll be too busy putting up fences and no trespassing signs.

Read the bill. Understand the bill. Speak up!
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Rik

Post by Rik »

More info

http://swfwmdmatters.blogspot.com/2012/ ... ff-in.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Thanks for sharing this. We don't need one more land grab in Florida. Quite frankly, there is so much going on in Tally right now that it is hard to keep on top of things... which is done by design.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Rik

Post by Rik »

More info

http://myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Docu ... ssion=2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Staff analysis

http://myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Docu ... ssion=2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now here's the weird thing about the staff analysis:
D. FISCAL COMMENTS:
It is unknown what effect this bill, if enacted into law, would have on established boundaries between sovereign submerged lands and uplands. To the extent existing boundaries are altered, the property rights associated with ownership would be affected.
It is unknown what effect this bill would have on established boundaries. Huh? They've written a bill, sent it through several committees (it passed) and will proceed to be voted on to become law but they have no idea how it will effect established boundaries.

I've asked several lawmakers, including the sponsors, how they can in good conscience propose a bill without understanding the consequences and have received no reply. Not even the worthless 'thank you for writing'.

This bill could give millions of acres of public domain to private landowners. This bill could take millions of acres from private landowners and give it to the public - for which we would have to compensate those landowners. They claim they don't know. Shouldn't there be a study or something to show everyone what the effects will be?

The cynical side of me thinks they know full well. I suspect some private landowners are getting rid of land they can't use and getting paid for it while grabbing land they want for free. I wish they'd prove me wrong.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

They weren't supposed to take up controversial stuff this session. LOL. Jerks.

Editorial from Tampa Trib/TBO.com

btw - It is out of the Agriculture & Natural Resources Subcommittee mentioned in Pirogue's post and now in the Civil Justice Subcommittee. HERE are the votes from Ag.
There is a companion senate bill: SB1362
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

Rik

Post by Rik »

There is no reason for the change — other than to help special interests at the expense of citizens.
SnookBait

Post by SnookBait »

This is all a money making scam. During economic times like this you see how low and dirty people can really get. Last summer I was ticketed for Trespassing(fishing) in an area that wasnt even marked. I asked about maybe getting a warning and the F*#k head FWC officer laughed and said "we dont do those anymore". Had to appear in court and pay 400 in fees. I will definitly be writing to these people objecting this.
Rik

Post by Rik »

More very good information

http://www.floridageomatics.com/publica ... erged1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Rik wrote:The cynical side of me thinks they know full well. I suspect some private landowners are getting rid of land they can't use and getting paid for it while grabbing land they want for free. I wish they'd prove me wrong.
Come on now Rik, the government would never do that, they are hear to help us, remember. Didn't you listen to the speach?
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Another editorial on this bill. This one from the Miami Herald: Stop the assault in Tallahassee on rivers, lakes.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Great news: this crappy bill appears to be DEAD this session.

READ MORE
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

Rik

Post by Rik »

For now.....

It'll come back up again and again and again.