Need input - canoe/kayak launch

Here is a place to talk about our Environmental Concerns.
Rik

Need input - canoe/kayak launch

Post by Rik »

I am in the FWC No Motor Boating Technical Advisory Group. It's a fancy name for a group of stakeholders in the no motor community. We're discussing many things that affect our community and one of those issues right now is canoe/kayak launch design. There is no established template and, as you all know, some launches were obviously designed by someone who has never (and likely never will) used a kayak launch.

So, tell me what makes for a good kayak launch? I'd like to hear some of the things you have seen that you like, things you;ve seen that you don't like, what is required, what would be nice if money was no object, etc., etc.

Take the entire picture into account. The drive in, parking, loading/unloading.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
The Below Average Angler

Re: Need input - canoe/kayak launch

Post by The Below Average Angler »

Robinson Preserve is the cats ass when it comes to the design of their drop in spot. Circular drive, water is probably 40-50' from where you pull in, and there are 2 kayak racks and a hose for you to rinse everything off when you get back to the launch. All free, as well.
Jason
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

While R. Preserve is very nice, being able to back to the water's edge is important to me. Parking close by of course and fresh water is nice but expensive and subject to vandals. Grand Tour's astro turf ramp is purty nice.
Thanks for being a voice Rik.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
lineman21

Post by lineman21 »

Not sure how well it would work in the tidal saltwater but Alderman Ford park at the Alafia River has a launch that is like a dock that gradually slopes down till it is underwater and you can walk out till the kayak floats and get in.
Scott
overtheedge86

Post by overtheedge86 »

The launch behind the sport complex on highway 70, is a design to avoid. Steep bank just before the water, and very soft soil/mud make portaging interesting. There is a wooden dock that it seems it was intended to be a launch, problem is its a 3'-4' drop into the kayak.

I like the launch south east of the drawbridge to AMI
-good solid soil, you can back your vehicle right up to the water. I've seen people driving on the sandbar.
-nice easy slope, makes portaging easy, if need be.
-close to a lot of good fishing holes. (it's always a plus)
-open 24-7
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

While the fancy amenities (water, wash racks, etc) are nice they are totally unnecessary as far as costs go and create a future maintenance, i.e money, in the future of the ramp. You can do all that at home (wash, dry, etc) and save a lot of money in launch design and future maintenance costs.

Close to the water drop off is very nice and a huge -plus. Weedon Island has a great set up but the launch was designed by someone who has never launched a kayak in that they put a 90 degree bend if you do not launch from the dock. Without two able bodied people launching a kayak around a 90 degree bend is next to impossible.

Easy grade slope to the water with shell or some other surface makes for a great launch. Concrete ramps suck as they get very slippery. In my opinion most govt funded canoe/kayak launches are simply over engineered. Keep it simple and easy to use and that is really all we need. Oh yeah and a bathroom for those early morning launches is a huge plus, not necessary if a nice stand of trees is nearby though. :lol:

24-7 is also very nice but creates a big problem in state or county parks. I Have seen a lot of good launches not get used to their full potential due to not opening up until 8 AM or closing too early.

Thanks for taking on the task and being a voice. I can tell already I am glad I signed you up for this job.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Hey Rik, I asked the same question about Bishops Harbor (which is still on the drawing board), do a search, there was some good information there.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Rik

Post by Rik »

The Below Average Angler wrote:Robinson Preserve is the cats ass when it comes to the design of their drop in spot.
I, personally, would call it the cat's ass with a whole different meaning. I think that circular driveways just plain suck. Only 3 can launch at one time, the first one there usually stops right in the middle blocking it for everyone else, the slow launchers hold up the fast launchers. Virtually everyone loads/unloads with their kayak in the same orientation as their vehicle - either sliding it out of the truck bed or sliding it off the roof to the rear of the vehicle. In the circle driveway, that puts your kayak perpendicular to the launch and requires a big chunk of the circle. The 'shortest distance between two points is a straight line' definitely applies.

However, that is why I am asking. I may be the only one who thinks that way.

Another question - how does everyone feel about the floating dock launches (like Weedon)?

The biggest problem I see is that the 'designers' seem to think our canoes/kayaks are super light and that we don't mind picking them up and carrying them. I don't know about you but I carry mine as little as possible.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

I agree that the circular drives are a waste of space. In the width needed for 3 trucks to pull up at Weedon, if they'd designed it so you could back straight in to the launch, you'd be able to have at least twice as many people launching at once. That is, if they got rid of the dock, and just made a nice, wide, gradual slope into the water. How hard is that to do? I just don't understand the floating dock thing, unless it's for power boats.
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

No floating dock... THey are hot, hard on knees and difficult for older folks, like me, to get out of kayak or into. No circular driveways Take up too much space and limit launches... Have some parking spaces for cars with trailers. Some of us can't lift over our heads or don 't have a truck to haul the kayak.

If you build a ramp out of concrete then make it non slip as much as possible. I know that is next to impossible.

rest rooms are always welcome and fresh water washdowns with a hose for those hard to reach places.

Thats all..
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
snooker56

Post by snooker56 »

Any launch design that let's me back in close to the water with room for others to do the same, at the same time, has a gentle, soft surface slope into said water and ample parking is all I need. I agree with Rik. Circular drives suck. I hate the one at Weedon. If anyone else is there I feel rushed.
"Bugman" Tom

Heritage Redfish 14
Chevy Silverado
DonS

Post by DonS »

This is a great subject & one we need to address.
Here in Sarasota we have several county/municipal launches.
South Lido Key,a natural slope into shallow water, but a portage some distance from the parking lot.
Casperson beach, a series of railroad ties set in parrallel decending to the water. Not cart friendly.
Red Lake, a shallow mud bottom, no parking. Forget about it.
North Jetty park Venice. Sloping beaches w/currents bad at times. Parking close to water.
There are others where paddlecraft share with trailered powerboats. Not bad if not too busy.
Turtle Beach, new area away from power boats might just work.
The newest, Venice Laurel rd Myakka park. Floating dock, blacktop trails,. Restrooms at parkling lot OK.
However launching SOT kayaks loaded with gear is best not tried solo. More on this later.
Border RD is interesting. The launch uses a metal "carpet" over the riverbank. It is not slippery even
under water. That is due to the sharpness of the carpet texture.The access is over a trail through the palmettos. Parking might be a problem to some as there is no turnaround.
Then there is the non-existant launch from Rt41 on the Myakka.Maybe they will get this one right.
Go for it Rick.
stroke - stroke - glide
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

The ability to back down within 50 feet of the water.

Something to stop powerboaters from using the facility. (I have seen some way too large boats launching at small craft ramps ie. Bishop's Harbor)

Secure parking! Forget the toilets and the floating docks and the wash racks and water or toilets. Put in some cameras and have the place patrolled. (By the way get up a half an hour earlier drink a cup of coffee and sh!t at your own home before you leave. Drop the kids off at your home pool not the bayou! You know who you are!!!!)

A place you can still get to at a negative low tide. (there are some put-ins that may be a 100 yard drag to get to water or back to land)
Credo quia absurdum
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

I peronsally would like a valet, who unloads everything for me and then loads it back up when I return. If they can wash it all off that would be a plus as well.

Think some good points are being made here. I too prefer the gradual slope vs the floating dock. Being able to back right up so that carrying the kayak is at a minimum. Think it was at Anclote where they have a decent launch but you have to walk a long way from the parking area to get to the water. Didn't make much sense. Facilities are nice. Some sort of harder surface or surface that keeps it from becoming nothing but mud is is a good feature as well. Ample parking not only for loading/unloading but in general.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

I think it would be cool to have some sort of rubber material for seawall launches so we wouldn't have to carry skuzy rugs to lay over the concrete to protect our vessels but I know this more related to parks than FWC.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Personally, I prefer the more rugged launches. Keeps the yahoos away. Probably not what you want to hear...

Hard bottom is probably the most important factor to me. I also like a nice, clear passage to the water - ducking through mangroves sucks, esp in the morning and evening when the no-see-ums are out. Carrying the yak is no problem for me, and I actually like some of the seawall launches, so long as the water isn't more than 3 feet down. Ramps, docks, rails, wash stations, etc just add extra cost and make it less likely the launch will be established at all. Keep it simple!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion